Today my vSphere client (5.x) randomly stopped being able to connect to anything. It gives an error: The type initializer for 'VirtualInfrastructure.Utils.ClientsXml' threw an exception.
I tried to uninstall and re-install with no luck. I did notice that if I log into my computer under another account (both accounts are local admin) that the client works just fine. Has anyone seen this before, or does anyone know how to correct this?
Just ran into this same problem this week and have yet to resolve it. I'm using vSphere client 5.1  on a windows 2012 x64 VM. Please note that on my windows 7 x64 VM, the same version client works without issue. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Is the client the only piece that's installed on that win2012 box or does it contain any other VC components?
1) Is this is a 2012 or 2012 R2 machine?
2) Did you try using another user on the same machine i.e. install via another admin account and try to use the client?
3) Cleanup your temp directory and then try again.
4) Post the log file located under C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VMware\vpx\Logs.
I have the same issue on 4 different VMs. 2 vCenters running on Windows 2008 std (Management and Production) and on 2 other Windows 2008 Standard.
It's a 5.1 environment. this issue started in beginning of October. Only the WebClient is working properly.
i had the same issue, on Windows 7 with vSphere client 6.0.
this was in the log file:
System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1)
I solved it by disable User Account Control.
This started for me in the last few days. Running the program as administrator is pretty much the only work around. My guess is that this will not get fixed anytime soon while VMware and Microsoft argue over who is actually to blame. 😞
Try any one of this article.. It might help you to get issue resolve.