VMware Cloud Community
JSCSJSCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere Client will not load

I installed the vShere client on my Vista Ultimate SP1 laptop. When I try to load the application, it goes throught its various status messages (connecting...loading inventory...loading main form..., etc.) then the screen starts to show the client. I can see "Loading" in the main section. Then the application just dissappears. Nine out of ten times there is nothing in the event log. But every once in a while, when it does this, I do get the following

Application popup: VpxClient.exe - Ordinal Not Found : The ordinal 318 could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBEAY32.dll.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I've tried installing the client after unzipping the upgrade and also directly froom downloading from vCenter server 4. No change.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

this may be an issue with your system and which you run the VIC from. I would uninstall the vSphere client, reboot your system, re-install the client again and see if that helps.

....or simply try a reboot.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

this may be an issue with your system and which you run the VIC from. I would uninstall the vSphere client, reboot your system, re-install the client again and see if that helps.

....or simply try a reboot.

0 Kudos
JSCSJSCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did mention that...

I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I've tried installing the client after unzipping the upgrade and also directly froom downloading from vCenter server 4. No change.

Pehaps I did not reboot in between, if that is what you suggest. I guess I will try again, with a reboot after the first uninstall.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

it may be that Vista Ultimate is not supported for the vSphere Client. Do you have a supported OS platform you can install it on and test?

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

0 Kudos
JSCSJSCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I uninstalled all things VMware on the laptop. I notived that even though the 4.0 upgrade said it was uninstalling some 2.5 programs, they were still in them system. I used a pretty good uninstaller (Revo) to get rid of most registry traces. I rebooted before trying to reinstall the client. After the reinstall, I started the client. The first thing I noticed was that all the host IP address were still available in the client drop down list, so I guess my uninstaller did NOT find every trace of the old installation to delete.

Bottom line..the application is now working. Now I am off to find out why some vSphere plugins are not working <grin>

Jim s.

0 Kudos
JSCSJSCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I wanted to add that I found the real reason for the problem with vShpere Server closing without warning...After getting the server to to run again, I went to plugins and started the vCenter Converter Plugin download process. After it downloaded, the application to install teh converter client was started on the local laptop. When the application finished installing, the vCenter Server applicaiton dissapeared again and would not run again as before.

I unistalled the converter client frm the laptop and the vCenter Server application ran without issue.

Now I need to go post a discussion to get that fixed. <grin>

JimS.

0 Kudos
jasoncllsystems
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would rather RDP into VCenter instead of running vSphere client from any desktop or laptop.

Regards,

CLL SYSTEMS

MALAYSIA VMWARE COMMUNITIES

http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
JSCSJSCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I installed the vSphere Client on an WINXP SP3 machine and downloaded and installed the vCenter Converter Plugin. I was able to run the client and connect to the vSphere server with That OS. However, after several days of trying, I cannot get it to work with Vista Ultimate SP1.

When I open the vClient and connect to vSphere Server, I go to plugins manager and click the link to download and install the converter plugin. It shows a download status, then Vista UAC warning pops up. I ALLOW and the converter installs. Afterward, back at the vServer, the plugin dialog shows 100% status and the title bar show (not Responding). After a few moments, the client application closes by itself. Subsequent attempt to log into the vServer with vClient start but an error "the ordinal 318 could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBREAY32.dll. Clicking Okay closes the vclient application. The System event log show the same error.

The only way I can reconnect is to go to control panel/Programs an Features and remove the VMware vCenter Converter Client application.

So I am thinking this is a Vista Ultimate SP1 Issue.

0 Kudos
Atmos4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In my case this problem way caused by mismatched openssl libraries. Delete or move the following files from %WINDIR%\System32\ (probably SysWOW64 aswell on x64): libssl32.dll libeay32.dll ssleay32.dll after that and maybe a reboot things should work.

JSCSJSCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Atmos4,

How the heck did you figure that out?! I renamed my libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll files. I never found a libssl32.dll, but no matter. Then I rebooted and tried to install the converter client again. Afterward, I was able to load the vSphere client! I would have thought that if those files were causing a problem, a new install would reinstall them, but they are not back. So, I don't know whay those DLL's were on my laptop, what used them, or why they caused vSphere Client to not boot or crash, but my issue seems to be solved is solved thanks to you.

Jim S.

0 Kudos
Atmos4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jim, the entry point error you posted hinted me at a dll version mismatch problem, I then compared the different version numbers of all the OpenSSL libs in system dir and program dir and found that the vmware converter was shipping with older versions, which seem to have caused the problem.

0 Kudos
RAMESA
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Jims,

What is the version of the libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dlls on your system when you hit this issue?

Thanks,

Regards, Ramesh
0 Kudos
JSCSJSCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Those files did not have version numbers like most DLL's. They only show a date created, which was 05/09/2007 for me.

0 Kudos
ruba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Jim, Is your Vista 64 bit ? Did you rename the dlls in the SysWOW64 folder ?

0 Kudos
JSCSJSCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, I am running 32-bit Vista.

0 Kudos
Atmos4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@RAMESA: %WINDIR%\System32\ contained version 0.9.8.5 of the OpenSSL libs, while Converter Enterprise ships with the outdated version 0.9.7.100. All other Virtual Center components use OpenSSL 0.9.8.10. This is on a HP ProLiant DL380 G5 running Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2 32-Bit.

0 Kudos
ruba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The client log files are usually found in the following folder C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\vpx and the log file right at the beginning sets the path for windows to look for dlls for this process. It typically looks like this "[ :QuickInf] 2009-05-11 15:26:47.309 Set the dll search path to C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\4.0" and that's where libeay32/ssleay32.dll are supposed to be picked up first before windows starts looking at other folders. Do the logs on your machine contain that message ?

0 Kudos
JSCSJSCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did not know those files were there. Renaming the ones in my system32 folder did the trick. I do not know why those were there. The versions in the path specified in the log files (could not follow your path by the way) are as follows:

libeay32.dll 0.9.7.100

ssleay32.dll 0.9.7.100

So, even though the log files were telling VMware where to go for DLL's, the ones in my system32 folder must have also been loading somehow and a conflict of some type occurred?

Jim S.

0 Kudos
JavaException
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I checked on my machine and none of those files are in my %windir%\system32 directory. In fact the only ones I see are libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll

and those are in the C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\4.0 directory and version says they are 0.9.7.100.

I have un-installed, reinstalled, rebooted, rebooted and rebooted again. So I am at a loss, the logs in vpx show nothing distinctive.

Is there an option to turn up the logging on the VMWare VSphere Client?

PaulE

0 Kudos