VMware Cloud Community
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere Client issue

Just installed the 4.0 vCenter and client and things are kind of strange. I can get to the hosts from one machine but teh others are acting strange. When i go into the VCenter server and try the localhost with the credentials i get an error. If i try to connect rite to the host i can get in but it looks like the 3.5 client. I am trying to vmotion some vm's and i can't find teh option to do that. I can't even login to teh vcenter server from any workstation. I don't have any 4.0 hosts yet. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Perry

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Whar error do you get when you try to connect through the localhost? What client is installed on the machine you can connect with - I eblieve the 3.5 client can connect to a vCenetr 4.0 host. When you right click on the VM name you do not have the option to Migrate in the drop down menu?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is this a brand new installation or upgrade?

Try cleaning up your environment:

Back up your vCenter and vmum databases (if you had an existing virtual infrastructure) and uninstall anything related to VMWare from your virtual center. Make sure you have only one database for each (if that is all you originally had,) and that you haven't created a new instance. If this is feasible, also clear out anything under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data related to VMWare.

After doing this, reboot your virtual center and reinstall everything.

Also...

Ensure you can resolve DNS entries for all of your hosts, and that the hosts can resolve your virtual center IP.

Focus on getting the VI Client to log into the localhost where the virtual center is installed. You want this to work more than anything in terms of VI Clients.

Make sure you are a local administrator on the vCenter (which you should be if you installed it.)

Your post is kinda confusing, are you trying to use 3.5 clients to connect to a 4.0 virtual center?

If you found this question to be correct or helpful, please remember to award points.

Dennis Procopio - VCP

prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It appears that all my services aren't starting on teh vcenter server. Not sure why they don't start at startup but when i do it manually it works fine. I am up and going for now.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you may find this KB article to be useful as well

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1007669

0 Kudos