VMware Cloud Community
jabraina
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Client Installation Error

Just upgraded to ESXi 4.0. The upgrade process went fine. The problem is when I try to install the vSphere client on my main PC, I get the error "The Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Second Edition installer returned error code '1603'."

This PC is running Vista Ultimate x64. I've installed it on other PC's, and it works fine. I've also tried installing J# 2.0 separately and I get error 4113.

HELP!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
donnie3579
Contributor
Contributor

I am probably already stating the obvious but the error code 1603 means "fatal error". It appears that the issue is directly related to Visual J# and your computer setup. What version(s) of the .net framework do you have installed?

0 Kudos
jabraina
Contributor
Contributor

It's Vista, so at least 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0. I've also got 3.5. I don't know exactly which service packs, but I've run Windows Update on all my computers to make sure all Security and .NET packages are up to date.

0 Kudos
forgeur
Contributor
Contributor

I am also seeing this issue. I have removed all previous version of the VIC that were installed and I have removed all instances of .NET framework. I am still getting the '1603' error. My PC is running Vista Business (32 bit).

Any new suggestions?

0 Kudos
donnie3579
Contributor
Contributor

(edited link) posted by mistake

Looks like it has been resolved in the thread above.

0 Kudos
forgeur
Contributor
Contributor

It seems the moderators do not want me to see that thread. I am blocked from reading it. Can you paste the content in to a reply here please.

Thanks

0 Kudos
donnie3579
Contributor
Contributor

My apologies. That was posted by mistake from another forum, relating to another issue.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
jabraina
Contributor
Contributor

No dice... I already witnessed that error when I figured I would just install J# separately, and wound up back here where I started.

0 Kudos
beng
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I had the same reported error on a Win2003 box. After about 15 minutes the install fails with the error.

When I examined the .Net installer logs (in your temp folder) it complained about not being able to download patches, and gives the URL. When I pasted that into a browser, I realised that the DNS settings on this particular machine were not configures, so it could not browse the internet/ d/load patches etc......

So as soon as I resolved this, the install went fine, .Net got it's patches and everyone was happy.

No idea why MS could not give a human readable error like "Unable to download required updates".... <sigh>.

So in your case, if you open the error log and it is the same fault, can you paste the erroring URL in? I suspect some firewalls that were over restrictive would probably block it tooo...

Rgds Ben

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try a separate installation of "2.0 framework SDK ", after that boot you client and try to install th vsphere client once again.

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
jwall04
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is an old post but hopefully I can save someone else some time...

While trying to install the  vSphere client v4.1.0-491557 on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64, I was getting "The Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Second Edition installer returned error code '1603'." error.

Turns out I had some bad data in the registry at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Common Administrative and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Common Administrative Tools.

The values of these 2 strings should be "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools".  Once I fixed this I could install the client.

Regards, Jeff
0 Kudos
Javik
Contributor
Contributor

Today I had to reinstall vSphere 5.1 and got the dreaded 1603 error.

Separately downloading and installing the following first, fixed the problem:

Microsoft Visual J#® 2.0 Redistributable Package – Second Edition (x64)

Download Microsoft Visual J#® 2.0 Redistributable Package – Second Edition (x64) from Official Micro...

0 Kudos