Just upgraded to ESXi 4.0. The upgrade process went fine. The problem is when I try to install the vSphere client on my main PC, I get the error "The Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Second Edition installer returned error code '1603'."
This PC is running Vista Ultimate x64. I've installed it on other PC's, and it works fine. I've also tried installing J# 2.0 separately and I get error 4113.
I am probably already stating the obvious but the error code 1603 means "fatal error". It appears that the issue is directly related to Visual J# and your computer setup. What version(s) of the .net framework do you have installed?
It's Vista, so at least 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0. I've also got 3.5. I don't know exactly which service packs, but I've run Windows Update on all my computers to make sure all Security and .NET packages are up to date.
I am also seeing this issue. I have removed all previous version of the VIC that were installed and I have removed all instances of .NET framework. I am still getting the '1603' error. My PC is running Vista Business (32 bit).
Any new suggestions?
Ok, I had the same reported error on a Win2003 box. After about 15 minutes the install fails with the error.
When I examined the .Net installer logs (in your temp folder) it complained about not being able to download patches, and gives the URL. When I pasted that into a browser, I realised that the DNS settings on this particular machine were not configures, so it could not browse the internet/ d/load patches etc......
So as soon as I resolved this, the install went fine, .Net got it's patches and everyone was happy.
No idea why MS could not give a human readable error like "Unable to download required updates".... <sigh>.
So in your case, if you open the error log and it is the same fault, can you paste the erroring URL in? I suspect some firewalls that were over restrictive would probably block it tooo...
I know this is an old post but hopefully I can save someone else some time...
While trying to install the vSphere client v4.1.0-491557 on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64, I was getting "The Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Second Edition installer returned error code '1603'." error.
Turns out I had some bad data in the registry at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Common Administrative and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Common Administrative Tools.
The values of these 2 strings should be "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools". Once I fixed this I could install the client.
Today I had to reinstall vSphere 5.1 and got the dreaded 1603 error.
Separately downloading and installing the following first, fixed the problem: