VMware Cloud Community
AL14
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Client Error when accessing Licensing tab after upgrade

All,
I have an issue which I'm finding difficult to resolve, and even harder to find information on what the cause/fix may be.

Background - We've upgraded our VMware environment from 5.5 to 6.0 U3 (Note - I know the versions are massively out of date (and out of support), but we are contractually constrained to use these versions due to the nature of the customer/account).

The upgrade failed 2/3 times when trying to export the 5.5 data (with a transform error), this was eventually resolved and the upgrade proceeded and completed without issue.

However, we have noticed that when accessing the Licensing tab (Home | Administration | Licensing) via the vSphere Client the following error pops up -

"An internal error occurred in the vSphere Client. Details: The given key was not present in the directory".

We've noticed that, in the licensing tab, you can see items listed under Product and License Key, but... Under Asset (which should be populated) it is just blank.

Note - we did enter the valid license key for vCenter 6.0 and that was accepted without issue.

This error is not seen when using the Web Client (all details can be seen without issue (e.g. Asset tab is fully populated and without errors).

I can't find any information on the VMware website about why this may be.

Does anyone have any idea's of what might be causing this issue (Can't find anything obvious in the logs).

Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Alan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mannharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

can you check if the licensing services is active on the psc

0 Kudos
AL14
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Harry,

Yes the license service is running on the PSC (just double checked).

That's the strange thing, it works perfectly via the web client (no errors, can see all information in the Asset's tab etc...). 

the vSphere Client loads fine and you can browse the Hosts/clusters, configurations etc.. (with all the correct information), it's only when you click on the licensing tab that you get the error "The given key was not present in the directory" and the Asset's tab (within Licensing) is empty.

0 Kudos
mannharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Check this 
/var/log/vmware/vpxd/vpxd.log

Do you see the error regarding the" Authentication result: Missing session auth data"

Also

• Check the "VMware Component Manager service", if it's in a stopped state, then start.
  • If already started restart it 

service-control --stop vmware-cm
service-control --start vmware-cm

Check the licenses tab

0 Kudos
AL14
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, just to note that it is a Windows Server not an appliance.

But yes the Component Manager service is running.

No errors in the vpxd.log regarding Missing session auth data.

0 Kudos
mannharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

can you restart the component manager service once.

0 Kudos