VMware Cloud Community
jdickerson
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Client 5.1 cannot connect

I have been running vSphere client 5.1 for a couple of years but as of today I could not log in to the client. I get the following error message:

vSphere client could not connect to "vserver address". The server could not interpret the communication from the client. (The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.)

I have searched the knowledge base and I cannot find an article that describes my specific information.

Does anyone know of a solution to this issue?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Kauy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is there any firewall between your client and vCenter Server?

In case you are running a virtual appliance, take a look at this kb.

Kauy Souza
0 Kudos
jdickerson
Contributor
Contributor

Yes we have a corporate firewall.

I do not have a virtual appliance but I tried the instruction in that article and it did not work.

0 Kudos
Kauy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check with the Firewall team if the communication between vSphere Client and host on TCP port 443 has been blocked (KB# 1012382 for reference on vSphere used ports).

Also try checking out vCenter Server listening ports with netstat -nao command.

Kauy Souza
0 Kudos
mcrape
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Some quick questions:

• Are you connecting to a vCenter running on Windows?
  • Are you able to ping the DNS name / IP for that client?
  • Are you able to log onto the the server (if Windows) and login using the vSphere client using the localhost address?
  • Are you using an Active Directory username / password, or a local OS one?
0 Kudos
jdickerson
Contributor
Contributor

I am connecting to a vCenter running Windows

I cannot ping the ip address but ping is disabled for that network and I can log in from my computer using the vSphere web client.

I cannot log in to the server as it is a virtual machine and we do not have rdc set up for that machine.

I am using an Active Directory account to log in.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
jagdish_rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi There,

Are you facing this problem from multiple server?  Please  install the vsphere  client any other system and check.

0 Kudos
jdickerson
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that the issue is only from my computer. I have tried on a separate system and did not have any issue. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall on my system but this did not help.

0 Kudos
jdickerson
Contributor
Contributor

Also, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling using the following knowledge base article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1308

0 Kudos
vmclouds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

since you are able to connect from the other system it looks like a problem with your system. You have already reinstalled the application as a wild guess did you try a reboot of your system. Also one thing you can try is the management agent restart of the esxi.

Regards, Rajn https://virtualtraces.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
keshavkant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Please check that  the VMware VirtualCenter Server Service has not stopped. To do this open the Microsoft Services control and check the status of the service.

Also check  that you can connect to the vCenter Server/VirtualCenter on port 443 to confirm if a firewall is configured to allow traffic on this port.

0 Kudos
ggautam7741
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since unistallation and re-installation is already tried and In case vcenter service also restarts properly -  Vcenter database table integrity check has to be done. kb.vmware.com/kb/2010144 and kb.vmware.com/kb/1003979

0 Kudos