VMware Cloud Community
Bit101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere 8 - import vCenter appliance in VMware workstation - DNS failed.

It´s very Tiny Lab.

I´ve 3-4 VM with Windows Server 2022 operating system in VMware workstation.
The network adatper on each VM is set to NAT.
Network: 192.168.123.0
DNS is working with Server02 – role as DC with DNS (please see screenshot)
and ddded the DNS record manually + reverse lookup zone

Domain: labtest.local
But now I imported new VM with vCenter 8.0 appliance (vcsa01))
I´ve configured the following for vcsa01 in the first phase when I imported the virtual appliance in VMware workstation
VM name: vcsa01
IP-adress: 192.168.123.111
Static
DNS server: 192.168.123.112 (Server02), Also manually added the DNS record + reverese lookup zone
Default gateway: 192.168.123.2
But when I’m finnished the import of the vCenter appliance (vcsa01)
the network adapter is automatically set to Bridged in VMware workstation.
After that I try to manually configure DNS settings in the newly imported vCenter appliance
because the gateway address is empty. I dont know why, so I try to configure
vCenter virtual appliance with the gateway 192.168.123.2. The same settings as for the other VM
where DNS is working.
But i only receive this error: DNS failed
Then I change network adapter for the vCenter VM appliance (vcsa01)
to NAT instead, same network adapter as for the rest of the VM:s where DNS is working.

After that I re-boot the vcsa01 appliance an trying to configure the DNS settings manually (configure manage network)

But i still get the same error message: DNS failed

Ps.

I can ping vsca01 from DNS server.

Please see screenshots where you can se the overall "design" and some network settings in vcsa01.

In vCenter there is a Linux distribution, Photon (you probably really know that) 

But I cant get any Linux command to work nor "apt-get update", "YUM" or "Journalctl" , ("Unknown command") so I can  have a look
at the error logs or for troubleshooting. 
(Im a windows guy)

Really appreciate your answer

🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bit101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for you replay.

In some strange way vCenter could not use NAT. The configured gateway did not work.

It worked for every other VM.

So I switched over to Bridged then everything worked. I don't know what causes the problem.

I´ve tried to change back to NAT (do everyting all over again about forward lookup zone and reverse lookup zone, DNS record...)

and configure sall the VM.s with NAT. Worked for all VM but not for the vCenter Appliance. (My 5:th try with NAT)

So here I´m again, stuck when I´m using NAT. So I´m forced me to use Bridged. (But now I know it will work with Bridged)

🙂

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ok, but how situation looks on DNS Server itself? 

do you have also PTR record? 

check with nslookup on Windows VM if IP correspond to FQDN

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Actually from your screenshot "IP_settings.jpg" it reads about manual IP settings (192.168.159.x/24) which belong to a different IP network than the one you are referring to (192.168.123.x/24). And, it had escaped me, when you deploy a VCSA object indicating an FQDN as hostname, the reference DNS servers you set are those capable of resolving it (yours), not those of someone else's.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
Bit101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry, I´m trying to hide the real iP-address in this form. 

And forget to hide this one behind .123.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Bit101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@maksym007

Yes, plesae see screenshot

I´ve followed this: https://www.vjonathan.com/post/installing-vmware-vcenter-server-appliance-vcsa-8-0ia/Installing VMwa...

Still the same problem

Maybe this is a Wild guess of what he problem is:

When the firtst Stage is done, the  networkadapter automatically is set to Bridged.

All the other VM has NAT. So I have to maually set the network adapter to NAT.

The DNS issue probably occurs because of this?

Anyone?

🙂

0 Kudos
SKAKVMWARE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can we do that implementation with OVF file and check the results but make it sure you dont put fqdn and DNS server as we can put the above details after the installation. I know that its a prerequisite to have the DNS records but still we can deploy vcenter with this and later add dns entries.

0 Kudos
Bit101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for you replay.

In some strange way vCenter could not use NAT. The configured gateway did not work.

It worked for every other VM.

So I switched over to Bridged then everything worked. I don't know what causes the problem.

I´ve tried to change back to NAT (do everyting all over again about forward lookup zone and reverse lookup zone, DNS record...)

and configure sall the VM.s with NAT. Worked for all VM but not for the vCenter Appliance. (My 5:th try with NAT)

So here I´m again, stuck when I´m using NAT. So I´m forced me to use Bridged. (But now I know it will work with Bridged)

🙂

0 Kudos