VMware Cloud Community
WadeChestnutXte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 6 Web Client

I'm trying to set up my first vSphere Server 6 in a test lab for certification study.  I have a brand new vSphere Server 6 installed on a Windows 2008 R2 Server.  I finally got through some initial problems with IE on my computer so I can now log in to single sign-on without issues.  Now I can't seem to figure out how to create a Folder and add some ESXi Hosts.  I went through the Getting Started and Hosts videos and even the online documentation but couldn't figure out how to get started. 

Apparently, I need to need to have a Folder, Datacenter or Cluster before I can add a Host.  I can't create a Datacenter until I can create a Folder.  I also don't see any User area, and when I click on Roles, it tells me I don't have permission even though I'm logged in under the Administrator account created during the installation.

What am I missing?

Wade

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

did you change vSphere.local domain of SSO to vSphereLab.local? if Yes, Please log out from your web client and try login using username 'administrator@vspherelab.local' and the password you gave at the time of installation. That will let you see the inventory.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

18 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do you see the vCenter Server object in the Hosts & Clusters view? If yes, then the first step is to create a Datacenter. After that you may create Clusters under the Datacenter object and add hosts on either the Datacenter or the Cluster level. Folders are optional.

André

0 Kudos
WadeChestnutXte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, a.p.  No, there is no vCenter Server object... I'm believing that's the problem but I don't know how to add one.

Wade

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I assumed I needed vSphere Server, but now I'm thinking I also need vCenter Server as well

I'm not sure what you consider the vSphere Server, but yes, the Web Client is a part of vCenter Server.

André

0 Kudos
WadeChestnutXte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I got confused with vCenter and vSphere... now I understand vCenter is the suite and vSphere is one of the tools under vCenter.

I'm still lost... I installed vSphere Server but the Web Client doesn't seem to be connected to it.  What do I need to do to be able to manage ESXi Hosts?

Wade

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

vSphere is an infrastructure virtualization suite, which includes ESXi (Type 1 hypervisor). To manage such multiple ESXi hosts you need vCenter server so that you get all those hosts in single inventory in vSphere Client/vSphere Web Client. to being with, you got to create virtual datacenter underneath of your vCenter server.

Now as you said you were able to login successfully in web client but then when you try to see vCenter inventory, you were not able to see anything there. It might have been because your virualcenter services are not started yet. Please double check status of those services and try again. If you find that services are all up and running but still when you login in web client, you are not able to see any inventory object then next thing to check is the username which you are using to login in web client. You might be using one of the valid username and password from your identity store but if this user account doesn't have any permission on vCenter server inventory then also your list remains empty.

vSphere 6 Install Configure Manage course is also being offered by VMware now.

VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6]

0 Kudos
WadeChestnutXte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, npadmani.

I attached a screenshot of the VMware Services running on the vSphere Server and it looks like they are all running.

I'm using the Adminstrator account I created during the vSphere Server installation so it should have access to everything.  I'm not using Active Directory integration for the Web Client login (box is not checked).

Wade

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Looking at the screenshot of list of services, all the necessary services are appears to be running.

Please login in your web client and go to Host and Cluster inventory (This is going to be an icon in your 'Home' tab in web client)

Take that screenshot as well and send it please.

0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Configure the VCVA Appliance and configure DB. after that you can connect All your host with VC and then do perform all other operation. If you connect with the single host then you can't create datacenter.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
WadeChestnutXte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Screenshot attached.

0 Kudos
WadeChestnutXte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CoolRam,

I'm not using the Appliance version.  I'm using the software installed on Windows 2008.  It created a local database during the wizard. I don't see how I can access it.

Wade

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you confirm that the administrator account that's shown on the screen shot is the one you created during the vCenter Server/SSO installation, i.e. it's not the Windows local/domain administrator, and the SSO domain doesn't match the Windows domain?

André

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Domain name: PS-VSPHERE6-1

is this the domain you created during SSO installation, default is vSphere.local which I believe you have customised.

Please also go in 'Global Permissions' area under 'Administration' in left pane to see what is it listing. how many different users are listed there? what's the role associated with each of them?

0 Kudos
WadeChestnutXte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Global Permissions screenshot attached -- nothing.

Before I started the installation, I added the Windows Server 2008 R2 to the company Domain.  Previous installation attempts with just the IP in Workgroup mode didn't work well.  Yes, I changed the Domain default to vSphereLab.local, I believe.

Wade

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, I changed the Domain default to vSphereLab.local ...

If this is what you entered during the vCenter Server installation, use administrator@vSphereLab.local to logon to the Web Client.

André

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

did you change vSphere.local domain of SSO to vSphereLab.local? if Yes, Please log out from your web client and try login using username 'administrator@vspherelab.local' and the password you gave at the time of installation. That will let you see the inventory.

WadeChestnutXte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why can't we Copy and Paste here!?!?

I can't log in with that for a User name.

0 Kudos
WadeChestnutXte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

npadmani, that was it!!

I guess I was an idiot trying to change the defaults.  But I'm surprised it let me just use "administrator" before and not give an error.

THANK YOU for all your help!!

Wade

0 Kudos
maxvaini
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks npadmani, it works for me too!

0 Kudos