VMware Cloud Community
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere 5.5 : "The storage service is not initialized"

Hi,

When i'm going to Storage Views for any object (vm or cluster or host...), i have this popup "The storage service is not initialized". And the windows is empty...

I'm in 5.5 (1891313). When I'm going to vCenter Service Status, the service VMware vCenter Storage Monitoring Service is in Warning Alert and show "Service initializing..."

I try a lot of KB VMware but nothing works to solve my problem. I don't found any KB that explain MY problem. The sms.log is not update since the start of the problem and the sps.log show an error at start of the service VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage Service:

2014-07-29 13:15:39,281 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] INFO  opId= com.vmware.sps.util.impl.SpsQsConnectorImpl - Connected to Query Service

2014-07-29 13:15:39,281 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] INFO  opId= com.vmware.sps.SpsLocalService - Registering SPS to Query Service

2014-07-29 13:15:39,281 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] DEBUG opId= com.vmware.sps.qs.SpsQsProvider - registerSpsProvider

2014-07-29 13:15:39,284 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] WARN  opId= com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.http.impl.HttpProtocolBindingImpl - Asynchronous execution requested but no Executor configured. The request will be executed as synchronous one.

2014-07-29 13:15:39,293 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] DEBUG opId= com.vmware.vim.storage.common.util.UUIDFactory - server GUID from the config file - a056401d-1138-4509-931d-5d81fdaeda36

2014-07-29 13:15:39,293 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] INFO  opId= com.vmware.sps.qs.SpsQsProvider - SPS has already been registered into QS with uuid :a056401d-1138-4509-931d-5d81fdaeda36

2014-07-29 13:15:39,293 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] ERROR opId= com.vmware.sps.qs.SpsQsProvider - Failed to register SPS into QS:com.vmware.vim.binding.dataservice.fault.AlreadyExistsFault:

inherited from com.vmware.vim.binding.dataservice.fault.AlreadyExistsFault

2014-07-29 13:15:39,293 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] INFO  opId= com.vmware.sps.qs.SpsQsProvider - SPS has been registered into query service with provider GUID: a056401d-1138-4509-931d-5d81fdaeda36

2014-07-29 13:15:39,314 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] INFO  opId= org.dozer.config.GlobalSettings - Trying to find Dozer configuration file: dozer.properties

2014-07-29 13:15:39,315 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] INFO  opId= org.dozer.config.GlobalSettings - Dozer configuration file not found: dozer.properties.  Using defaults for all Dozer global properties.

26 Replies
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for the tips but mine have ever "integratedSecurity\=true"

I opened a support case to VMware but they didn't find the solution. I'm waiting for them.

0 Kudos
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, the files are not expired.

In result to the command, i have (in french):

"Valide du : Mon Nov 14 16:19:51 CET 2011 au : Mon Nov 14 16:19:51 CET 2022"

0 Kudos
kukta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Any news from VMware on this case ?

I'm facing same issue and did a lot of tests but nothing work...

Please let us know if they find how to fix it !

Thanks !

0 Kudos
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No news for now. I'll send them a lot of logs and they just ask me to send the entiere database to analyse it. Also they want to try with a clean database.

0 Kudos
Bendy22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was struggling with the same issue after I moved my VCDB to another instance of MS SQL. The answer that worked for me was here:

http://www.blog.shonkyholdings.com/2011/12/changing-vcenter-database-within-dsn.html

There was another place where the connection string needed to be updated other than the DSN - the vcdb.properties file. After the first refresh of the vSphere Web Client almost immediately after making a change to this file, I had the Storage Reports view back working.

0 Kudos
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I ever try somthing with the vcdb.properties file and the vmware employee control it also.

See my file:

usevcdb=true

url=jdbc:sqlserver://localhost\\VIM_SQLEXP;databaseName\=VIM_VCDB;integratedSecurity\=true

dbtype=mssql

driver=com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver

I search for the sql connection on the server because no process listen on the port 1433 and vpxd listen on 1434 (normally, it is the port for sql browser). Have you this also on your server ? (command "netstat -abn").

0 Kudos
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I solved the problem with technical service of VMware.

I have 2 Wrapper folders in "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Profile-Driven Storage". Wrapper and Wrapper1.

There is an issue because some file need to be in both folders. To resolve the problem and use only one Wrapper folder like a clean install, just uninstall VMware Vcenter Server, remove folder "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Profile-Driven Storage" and reinstall. Change the login of the service "VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage Service" to put the same of the service "VMware VirtualCenter Server". You must have one wrapper directory and service initialized.

0 Kudos