VMware Cloud Community
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere 5.5 : "The storage service is not initialized"

Hi,

When i'm going to Storage Views for any object (vm or cluster or host...), i have this popup "The storage service is not initialized". And the windows is empty...

I'm in 5.5 (1891313). When I'm going to vCenter Service Status, the service VMware vCenter Storage Monitoring Service is in Warning Alert and show "Service initializing..."

I try a lot of KB VMware but nothing works to solve my problem. I don't found any KB that explain MY problem. The sms.log is not update since the start of the problem and the sps.log show an error at start of the service VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage Service:

2014-07-29 13:15:39,281 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] INFO  opId= com.vmware.sps.util.impl.SpsQsConnectorImpl - Connected to Query Service

2014-07-29 13:15:39,281 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] INFO  opId= com.vmware.sps.SpsLocalService - Registering SPS to Query Service

2014-07-29 13:15:39,281 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] DEBUG opId= com.vmware.sps.qs.SpsQsProvider - registerSpsProvider

2014-07-29 13:15:39,284 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] WARN  opId= com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.http.impl.HttpProtocolBindingImpl - Asynchronous execution requested but no Executor configured. The request will be executed as synchronous one.

2014-07-29 13:15:39,293 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] DEBUG opId= com.vmware.vim.storage.common.util.UUIDFactory - server GUID from the config file - a056401d-1138-4509-931d-5d81fdaeda36

2014-07-29 13:15:39,293 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] INFO  opId= com.vmware.sps.qs.SpsQsProvider - SPS has already been registered into QS with uuid :a056401d-1138-4509-931d-5d81fdaeda36

2014-07-29 13:15:39,293 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] ERROR opId= com.vmware.sps.qs.SpsQsProvider - Failed to register SPS into QS:com.vmware.vim.binding.dataservice.fault.AlreadyExistsFault:

inherited from com.vmware.vim.binding.dataservice.fault.AlreadyExistsFault

2014-07-29 13:15:39,293 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] INFO  opId= com.vmware.sps.qs.SpsQsProvider - SPS has been registered into query service with provider GUID: a056401d-1138-4509-931d-5d81fdaeda36

2014-07-29 13:15:39,314 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] INFO  opId= org.dozer.config.GlobalSettings - Trying to find Dozer configuration file: dozer.properties

2014-07-29 13:15:39,315 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] INFO  opId= org.dozer.config.GlobalSettings - Dozer configuration file not found: dozer.properties.  Using defaults for all Dozer global properties.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I solved the problem with technical service of VMware.

I have 2 Wrapper folders in "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Profile-Driven Storage". Wrapper and Wrapper1.

There is an issue because some file need to be in both folders. To resolve the problem and use only one Wrapper folder like a clean install, just uninstall VMware Vcenter Server, remove folder "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Profile-Driven Storage" and reinstall. Change the login of the service "VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage Service" to put the same of the service "VMware VirtualCenter Server". You must have one wrapper directory and service initialized.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
26 Replies
vfk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you are running vcenter server under a service account, then you will have to use the same service account for VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage Service service as well and that should fix your issue.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I ever tested this but it's doesn't solve my problem.

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello goyer,

can you post content of these (or entire) logs:

-vws.log

-sms.log

-sps.log

Can you explain what you have already done to resolve this issue...in short. (KBs ...etc.)

Thanks

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just read some KBs about the service "VMware vCenter Server Storage Monitoring Service" that fails to start but i never try to do something except the change of the service account. The different KBs specify some errors in logs that I never found. So I never tried their solutions. The KBs are :

- VMware KB: VMware vCenter Storage Monitoring Service fails with the error: Service initialization fa...

- VMware KB: VMware vCenter Server Storage Monitoring Service fails to start

Note the sms.log not change since 13 dec 2013... I think this is the day I maked an upgrade and I think the problem occured since this date.

Note also I don't have the cachedb folder mentionned in the second KB. Maybe because the service never start completely. Same thing for the sms.log.

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

- please post screen with list all VMware services with "Log On As" column...

- which database are you using?

- which account is configured to access this database?

- are you using self-signed certificates?

Also check these KBs (not all directly for 5.5. anyway check them):

VMware KB:     VMware vCenter Storage Monitoring Service fails with the error: Service initializatio...

VMware KB: VMware vCenter Server 5.x Storage Monitoring and Profile Driven Storage Service fails wit...

VMware KB: Alerts are displayed in vCenter service status after upgrading to vCenter Server 5.x

Thanks,

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Capture.JPG

I'm using SQL Server Express included with vCenter Server. I'm only have 3 hosts with 40 VMs.

I guess the account used for the connection is a_sydubois. It's an account admin of the server. In ODBC, the authentification is Windows integrated and the install has been done with this account.

I'm using self-signed certificates.

I'll check the KBs. I read some KBs that not directly talk about 5.5 but I not remember them.

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

using special characters is not something which vSphere products likes... change the name or try to use another account:

See:

VMware KB: Changing the vCenter Server database user ID and password

VMware KB: Changing the vCenter Server database user in SQL 2005 (including SQL Express)

INFO:

• Domain names with unsupported characters are not supported by vCenter Server.

For example, the underscore (_) character is not supported.
  • As documented in the ESXi and vCenter Server documentation, the host name of the machine must comply with RFC 952 guidelines. RFC 952 guidelines state that underscores are not a valid character. For more information, see the System Prerequisites section of the vSphere Installation and Setup guide and the RFC 952 guidelines.
  • Unsupported characters are also documented by Microsoft for Active Directory. For more information, see Microsoft knowledge Base article 909264. According to the Microsoft article, DNS domain names and DNS host names cannot contain these characters:
    • comma (,)
    • tilde (~)
    • colon (:)
    • exclamation point (!)
    • at sign (@)
    • number sign (#)
    • dollar sign ($)
    • percent (%)
    • caret (^)
    • ampersand (&)
    • apostrophe (')
    • period (.)
    • parentheses (())
    • braces ({})
    • underscore (_)
    • white space (blank)

_________________________________________________________________________________________

If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Helpful or Correct buttons)

Regards,

P.

0 Kudos
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All the admin account of our domain have an underscore. There is a big domain and i can't change that. We forget this for this problem because I don't think there is the reason. This worked before the upgrade of 13 dec 2013.

For the SQL connection, I think the authentification is integrated with the hostname. There isn't some login in register database.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

if it worked before upgrade it doesn't mean that it should work after transition to 5.5 especially for this release which was in some cases completely redesigned ...

I know its a little bit painful process but it could be your issue....

If you decided to bypass account changes try to reregister vCenter components between each other, your self-signed certificates

could play also some role with this issue, for detailed steps follow this KB:

VMware KB: Re-pointing and re-registering VMware vCenter Server 5.1 / 5.5 and components

Regards,

P.

0 Kudos
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can try account changes. Can I put a local administrator ? Or local system like antoher services ? Do you know the side effects ?

I ever read yesterday the KB about the re-registering but I didn't found anything about the  VMware vCenter Storage Monitoring Service. What do you think the error I mentionned in the original post ? It's a normal error ?

Thanks for your time

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yes you can but using local user account instead of some AD service account will lower you security ...

- The user account must be an administrator on the local machine.

- use same account for vCenter server service, Webservices, Profile Driven Storage, SQL Server DSN

SMS is not part of reregistering process despite this services and its plugins are quite sensitive to installed SSL certificates so give it a try....

Before you will perform some of the steps above check these config parameters in your vCenter installation:

(its from vCenter 5.1 hope they will be the same for 5.5, maybe IDs below may vary)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

\VMware\tomcat\webapps\sms\WEB-INF\classes\com\vmware\vim\sms\config.xml
<webServerPort>8080</webServerPort>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\VMware\VirtualCenter Server\extensions\com.vmware.vim.sms\extension.xml
<health>
<url>http://localhost//sms/smService-web/health.xml</url>
</health>

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\proxy.xml

<e id="12">
<_type>vim.ProxyService.LocalServiceSpec</_type>
<accessMode>httpsWithRedirect</accessMode>
<port>8080</port>
<serverNamespace>/sms</serverNamespace>

</e>
<e id="14">
<port>8080</port>
<serverNamespace>/ui</serverNamespace>
</e>

Regards,

P.

0 Kudos
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For the config.xml

In 5.5 it is sms-config.xml in C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Profile-Driven Storage\conf. I have <webServerPort>32010</webServerPort>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the extension.xml of sms

I have :

<health>

</health>

In 5.5, this is this link. The http link return that so i think it's good:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

-<vimhealth schemaVersion="1.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://www.vmware.com/vi/healthservice">

-<health id="com.vmware.vim.sms">

<name>VMware vCenter Storage Monitoring Service</name>

<status>yellow</status>

<message id="com.vmware.vim.sms.svcInitInProgress" time="2014-07-30T15:33:47+02:00" level="warning">Service initializing...</message>

</health>

</vimhealth>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the proxy.xml

<e id="12">
<port>32010</port>

</e>

- <e id="13">
<port>31010</port>
<serverNamespace>/sps</serverNamespace>

</e>

- <e id="14">
<port>8080</port>
<serverNamespace>/ui</serverNamespace>

</e>

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What you have in:

\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\webapps\sms\WEB-INF\classes\com\vmware\vim\sms\config.xml

Unfortunately I have no vCenter 5.5 to compare also I didn't found any mention about port 32010 in  the documentation...but that doesnt mean its incorrect.

I don't want to push you in wrong direction but I would try to change it to port 8080 ....

or someone with 5.5 release could help.

<e id="12">

<port>32010</port>
</e>

Regards,

P.

0 Kudos
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't have sms folder under webapps.

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK, that's maybe because some architectural changes happens in 5.5 release ...

Again I delved into your sms.log and found additional errors which leads me to this KBs:

VMware KB: Accessing the Storage View tab in vCenter Server fails with the error: Cannot create Pool...

VMware KB: Viewing storage statistics using the Storage Views/Reports feature fails with the error: ...

VMware KB: Hardware Status tab error: No new host data available. Data will be updated in 5 minutes

So try to apply them.

Regards,

P.

Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.http.conn.ssl.SSLSocketFactory.connectSocket(SSLSocketFactory.java:333)
at org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultClientConnectionOperator.openConnection(DefaultClientConnectionOperator.java:123)

2013-12-13 11:45:43,070 [Thread-16] INFO  com.vmware.vim.sms.StorageManagerImpl  - Retry #2 in 30 seconds
2013-12-13 11:46:12,037 [Thread-15] DEBUG com.vmware.vim.sms.ServiceImpl  - Initializing service...
2013-12-13 11:46:12,037 [Thread-15] INFO  com.vmware.vim.sms.HealthAgentImpl  - Changing health status from INIT_FAILED to INIT_IN_PROGRESS
2013-12-13 11:46:12,037 [Thread-15] DEBUG com.vmware.vim.sms.HealthAgentImpl  - Publishing service health information
2013-12-13 11:46:12,037 [Thread-15] DEBUG com.vmware.vim.storage.common.util.VpxdConnection  - Creating client for VC server at https://localhost:8089/sdk
2013-12-13 11:46:13,067 [Thread-15] ERROR com.vmware.vim.storage.common.util.VpxdConnection  - Failed to initialize VpxdConnection
com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.exception.ConnectionException: org.apache.http.conn.HttpHostConnectException: Connection to https://localhost:8089 refused

2013-12-13 11:45:10,110 [localhost-startStop-1] DEBUG com.vmware.vim.sms.util.Crypt  - private key format: ASN1Sequence

2013-12-13 11:45:10,173 [localhost-startStop-1] INFO  org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader  - Root WebApplicationContext: initialization completed in 5631 ms

2013-12-13 11:45:11,015 [Thread-15] ERROR com.vmware.vim.storage.common.util.VpxdConnection  - Failed to initialize VpxdConnection

com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.exception.ConnectionException: org.apache.http.conn.HttpHostConnectException: Connection to https://localhost:8089 refused

0 Kudos
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I always see this errors on the log sps and sms but I think the service "VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage Service" wait for "VMware VirtualCenter Server" at start because "VMware VirtualCenter Server" is in diferred start like "VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices"

Even so, I'll see the KBs you mentionned.

0 Kudos
kamruddin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I faced the same problem. I started the following service ( "VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices", "VMware VirtualCenter Server"  ande "VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage Service" ) from the same account.

The detail procedure is -

1.Start>Run>Type "services.msc"> Press "OK".

2. Right Click to "VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices"> Properties.

3. Go to "Log On" tab.

4. Select "This account".

5. Give an valid(it may be from your Domain account) account name and password.

6. Restart the service.

7. Follow the same procedure for "VMware VirtualCenter Server"  and "VMware vSpher Profile-Driven Storage Service".

Thanks,

Kamruddin

0 Kudos
vuzzini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Goyer,

Could you please follow the KB VMware KB:    Registering a VASA provider with vCenter Server fails and reports the error: InvalidCe...and make sure that the sms.keystore and sms.truststore certs are not expired. Replace the certs if they are expired as mentioned in the KB.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Sandeep Vuzzini Sr. DevOps Engineer
0 Kudos
olant
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I needed to change the vcdb.properties file to get the SPS Service clean:

In %programdata%\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\vcdb.properties

Append ";integratedSecurity\=true" to the url-line:

Before:

url=jdbc:sql…….databaseName\=VCDB

After

url=jdbc:sql…….databaseName\=VCDB;integratedSecurity\=true