VMware Cloud Community
AlexMITS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 5.1 install failed for SSO

vSphere 5.1 on Windows 2012

MSI (s) (24:78) [19:02:00:087]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=VM_UpdateSSOTomcatServerXMLFile,ActionType=1025,Source=BinaryData,Target=VMUpdateSSOTomcatServerXMLFile,CustomActionData=d:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\\conf\server.xml)
MSI (s) (24:54) [19:02:00:087]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIB987.tmp, Entrypoint: VMUpdateSSOTomcatServerXMLFile
Error 20020.Failed to update values in server.xml file.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
narkotsky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here's how to fix this:

1. Enable 8.3 name generation on your file system (ie NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation = 0 )

2. Delete C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer directory

3. Reboot

4. Start over - did work for me.

Somehow over the years VMware haven't managed to understand that 8.3 file names may not be available during install and they still relying on them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
30 Replies
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi

what is the question as you seem to have just dumped an error log excerpt?

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
TimKleen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am going out on a limb here but I do not think Windows Server 2012 is in the supported OS Hosts list.

http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/search.php?deviceCategory=software&testConfig=17

0 Kudos
CompulinkTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Im just doing that FYI to whoever is going to try to make it work on the Windows 2012 / on Windows 2008 R2 there is no issue - no complain or support case - simply FYI

0 Kudos
DSeaman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I documented this bug in my blog, which also occurs on Server 2008 R2. Basically if you change the installation path to the 😧 drive it will fail.

http://derek858.blogspot.com/2012/09/vmware-vcenter-51-installation-part-1.html

Derek Seaman
0 Kudos
steve_bailey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did this and it did fail.  I went back and did it again and left it at C:\ and it still failed.  Is this a once it fails, it will always fail?  How can I completely pull this out and redo the installation?  Windows 2008 R2 server

0 Kudos
AlexMITS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is odd I'm able to install it on Windows 2008 R2 without issue on D Drive

0 Kudos
Drew69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm getting this same error and I have not attempted to change the default install path to C:\...

vCenter Single Sign On

"Error 20020.Failed to update values in server.xml file."

Got through all the unclear items for the Database and Users, but now I get this...

Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise (AGM)

SQL 2008 R2 Enterprise (AGM)

vCenter Server 5.0u1b

I'm logged in as a Domain Admin with local Admin Privs on the vCenter Server and full Admin Rights in SQL.  This Server is running as a VM and I'm taking Snapshots so I have a clean roll-back for each failed install attempt...  I'm taking all the Defaults with the install and everything seems fine in the Install Logs until the very end;

vminst.log

-------------

VMware Single Sign On-build-797273: 09/14/12 11:38:15 Begin Logging
VMware Single Sign On-build-797273: 09/14/12 11:38:15 --- CA exec: VMUpdateSSOTomcatServerXMLFile
VMware Single Sign On-build-797273: 09/14/12 11:38:15 Getting Property CustomActionData = C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\\conf\server.xml
VMware Single Sign On-build-797273: 09/14/12 11:38:15 --- function: InsertXMLAttributes
VMware Single Sign On-build-797273: 09/14/12 11:38:15 COM has been initialized
VMware Single Sign On-build-797273: 09/14/12 11:38:15 Msxml2.DOMDocument object created
VMware Single Sign On-build-797273: 09/14/12 11:38:15 Total numbers of elements : 0
VMware Single Sign On-build-797273: 09/14/12 11:38:15 File:C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\\conf\server.xml has been saved successfully
VMware Single Sign On-build-797273: 09/14/12 11:38:15 Failed to set value File: C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\\conf\server.xml  Path: /Server/Service[@name="Catalina"]/Connector[@SSLEnabled="true" and @executor="castleThreadPool"]
VMware Single Sign On-build-797273: 09/14/12 11:38:15 Posting error message 20020
-------------

Event Viewer Logs reveal nothing...

-------------

Permissions for the server.xml file are;

System  =  Full Control

Administrators = Full Control

Users  =  Read & Execute

...and I have no problem opening, modifying and saving the Server.xml file that the install places on C:...  So, it doesn't appear to be a Rights issue unless the Network Service account need special permission to it above and beyond the rights listed above...

Also, I'm running "VMware-SSO-Server.exe" as Administrator.

At this point, I'm stuck...  Any suggestions?  This is a Gov AGM Imaged Server, and vCenter 5.0 has installed and worked flawlessly thus far...

Thanks in Advance!

0 Kudos
AlexMITS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This has to be related to Database then

On the SQL - from the SSO folder \ DB Sripts - get queries for CreateTables and Schema - adjust the CreateTables to use reall path on the SQL server for RSA database run schema query - ignore errors

Now during the installation of SSO when you pick - is New Configuration for vCenter - do the HA installation - when it ask for database - specify database name RSA created from query and server name and port for SQL - use windows authentication checkmark - SSO Installer will create RSA USER and do the rest on its own.

0 Kudos
AlexMITS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I cannot reproduce it on Windows 2008 R2

It maybe then the installation settings - try to SSO installation on its own pick New - and HA installation (not simple) - precreate database with createtables query (you need to adjust the path for SQL database,log,transaction log) and run the schema query - ignore the errors and continue with SSO installation using RSA db name - sql server fqdn and windows authentication.

0 Kudos
AlexMITS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

security is not the issue here,

As I started the post - there is double backslash instead of single one - therefore path is not valid

SSOServer\\conf - see double backslash

VMware Single Sign On-build-797273: 09/14/12 11:38:15 Getting Property CustomActionData = C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\\conf\server.xml
VMware Single Sign On-build-797273: 09/14/12 11:38:15 File:C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\\conf\server.xml has been saved successfully
VMware Single Sign On-build-797273: 09/14/12 11:38:15 Failed to set value File: C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\\conf\server.xml  Path: /Server/Service[@name="Catalina"]/Connector[@SSLEnabled="true" and @executor="castleThreadPool"]

What is intresting I tought this was the case of compatibility with Windows 2012 which seems not to be the case.

0 Kudos
Drew69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, appears the Forum went down for a few...?

Yeah, now I see the double backslash from my Install Log. Why am I the only one getting that, and what's the fix?  This must be coming from install itself, as I simply accepted the defaults.

P.S.  I properly tweaked and used all three SQL Scripts to create the Table Space, Users and Schema resulting in no errors, so that's a good thing.  😃

Thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos
Drew69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ya know what I find extremely unusual is that the double backslash "\\" exists in all of these statements, yet the only place it errored out is the last line where the install tried to edit the file;

At any rate, this is still an issue for me and it will not install because of it.  Any suggestions, or is this possibly something that VMware will be fixing (soon I hope)?  Like I stated before, I simply accepted the default path and did not attempt to modify it during install.

Thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos
jshelly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any update on this issue? I'm running into the same problem.

Still fails when installing to C:\

0 Kudos
Drew69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately no... I've pretty much given up on 5.1 for now, as VMware obviously needs to (yet again) fix their install scripts. I've seen issues like this off and on since version 2.5... I think the Image of 2008 R2 that we use is set to be more picky about absolutely paths, but hey, a syntax error in an install script makes me scared what else might be lurking around the corner. I'm waiting for the next release where hopefully VMware has fixed this and any other issues yet to be discovered...

Thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos
jshelly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was afraid someone was going to say this. I'm in the process of rolling out a new VMWare infrastructure and was planning on using 5.1

It certainly does not look ready for prime time.

We are currently on 4.1

Any majors issues with 5.0 1b? Or should we stick to 4.1?

0 Kudos
TimKleen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One thing I have found is that on the install of SSO, if you use a SQL Server account that has sysadmin rights, make sure that login is mapped to the databases.  Like Master, MSDB and the rest.

Just one little got ya that hosed us up for a few minutes until we realized what the issue was.  I have tested the upgrade on some lab systems we have and after the little snags like I mentioned, all went well.

Now it is just a learning curve for the new features.

0 Kudos
Drew69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've just created a whole new rollout on 5.0.1b and have had no issue yet with it. I'd suggest taking this step up from 4.1 to 5.0.1b for sure - especially if you will be able to reap some of the new benefits from VASA, VAAI, VMSF5, Snapshot Alerts, etc, etc, etc...

Thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos
jshelly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good to hear.

Thanks for the info...

0 Kudos
Drew69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for bringing this up. Yeah, I ran into the same issue. To address this, I modified and used the following .sql scripts that VMware provided;

rsaIMSLiteMSSQLSetupTablespaces.sql

rsaIMSLiteMSSQLSetupUsers.sql

rsaIMSLiteMSSQLCreateSchema.sql

...which setup the DB, created and properly assigned the Users and created the specific Schema requirements. After getting these to run without error (rolled back to my snapshot of vCenter after a couple bad attempts) everything successfully proceeded past the DB install tasks, but then error'd out on modifying the ...conf
server.xml file. Very disappointing!

Didn't seem to have to add these users to Master or MSDB or anything though... Just took a Snapshot and tried it again with those mapping and still got the same error... =(

Thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos