VMware Cloud Community
AlexMITS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 5.1 install failed for SSO

vSphere 5.1 on Windows 2012

MSI (s) (24:78) [19:02:00:087]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=VM_UpdateSSOTomcatServerXMLFile,ActionType=1025,Source=BinaryData,Target=VMUpdateSSOTomcatServerXMLFile,CustomActionData=d:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\\conf\server.xml)
MSI (s) (24:54) [19:02:00:087]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIB987.tmp, Entrypoint: VMUpdateSSOTomcatServerXMLFile
Error 20020.Failed to update values in server.xml file.
0 Kudos
30 Replies
TimKleen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The only script I ran, after modifying it for the files locations, was rsaIMSLiteMSSQLSetupTablespaces.sql.  During the setup of SSO it will run the remaining scripts automatically.

For the rest of it I basically followed this post, http://communities.vmware.com/thread/417949?tstart=0, for the setup.  Just remember to map the sa login to the databases.  The automatic discovery for authentication sources failed but I followed this KB, http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203437....  Once that was done it all worked fine.

Tim

0 Kudos
Drew69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oddly enough, (and probably because we use the Army Gold Master image of 2008 R2) we had to modify and run the scripts manually in SQL 2008 R2 or the install would always fail on the DB steps in the install process... Just one of those things the Army did to shoot themselves in the foot yet again... 😃

Thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos
jshelly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just to follow up on this.

The SQL 2008 R2 database install/configuration is not the issue, at least for me. The failure comes further along the installation process when it fails to modify the server.xml file due to a install package mistake that references two \\ as the path to the file.

This causes the install to hang and logs the following to the App log

"Product: vCenter Single Sign On -- Error 20020.Failed to update values in server.xml file."

I'm getting this error no matter which drive I install the app to on Windows 2008 R2 Standard

0 Kudos
AlexMITS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM_UpdateSSOTomcatServerXMLFile = D:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\\conf\server.xml

The double "\\" seem is not the issue as I tought when I run into installation problems - succesfull install still lists \\ as above

Error on updating server.xml file - I have expirienced it only on Windows 2012;

on Windows 2008 R2 Datacenter I cannot reproduce the issue

I tried local sql (full/build-in express), remote sql - ha mode or simple mode - all run fine....

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm not sure what exactly the issue is, but I have 2 isoalted environments I've been trying to upgrade to 5.1  The 1st, which is already at 5.0, will not upgrade to 5.1.  I've tried several combinations/iterations of path, and it's failed every time, that's running Windows 2008R2 Ent.  The 2nd is also Win2k8R2 Ent, but that would not allow a custom install path, but did succeed on default c:\.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
harlanm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have the same issue here.  Windows 2008 R2, SQL 2005 database.  Bombs on updating the XML file whether I use C:, D:, or (as I wanted to use) E:.

0 Kudos
RKuehn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's still not working on Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1

The path of "server.xml" is hardcoded in the MSI file called "vCenter Single Sign On.msi"

I used an HexEditor and changed it from "[SSOSERVER]\conf\server.xml" to "[SSOSERVER]conf\server.xml"

There is no "\\" in log-file but I still get the same error mesage

MSI (s) (AC:98) [15:55:50:361]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=VM_UpdateSSOTomcatServerXMLFile,ActionType=1025,Source=BinaryData,Target=VMUpdateSSOTomcatServerXMLFile,CustomActionData=C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\conf\server.xml)
MSI (s) (AC:B0) [15:55:50:365]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI75C8.tmp, Entrypoint: VMUpdateSSOTomcatServerXMLFile
Error 20020.Failed to update values in server.xml file.
MSI (s) (AC!CC) [15:56:31:976]: Product: vCenter Single Sign On -- Error 20020.Failed to update values in server.xml file.

CustomAction VM_UpdateSSOTomcatServerXMLFile returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

0 Kudos
Drew69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for jumping through those hoops in an attempt to get this working. Hopefully this is one more step in the right direction to proving to VMware that they need to fix their install for SSO.

Thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos
narkotsky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here's how to fix this:

1. Enable 8.3 name generation on your file system (ie NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation = 0 )

2. Delete C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer directory

3. Reboot

4. Start over - did work for me.

Somehow over the years VMware haven't managed to understand that 8.3 file names may not be available during install and they still relying on them.

0 Kudos
AlexMITS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep that is official release note from 5.1a new build made available on 10/25

Installation Issues

• New vCenter Single Sign On installation fails with error 20020
    vCenter Single Sign On installation fails with the following error when you select the destination folder to install the software:

Error 20020. Failed to update values in server.xml file

This issue occurs when you attempt to install vCenter Single Sign On on a folder with spaces, for which no short name exists. To verify this, run the dir /x command in the parent folder of the folder with spaces.

Workaround: Perform one of these actions:

• Install vCenter Single Sign On in C:\Program Files.
    • Install vCenter Single Sign On in a folder with no spaces.
    • Enable short names on the volume and create a short name for the folder with spaces.

Note: You will also need to set the registry value ofHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\File System\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation to 0 or 2.

0 Kudos
MistaVanquish
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked for me.  I just left the directory path at the default and no issues.  The first go around, I changed the installation path to D:\, and even with 8dot3names enabled, it still failed with the same error.  Also, I followed VMware's documentation to a tee as far as installation.  I ran the RSA scripts instead of manually creating an SSO SQL account with dbo permissions, etc.  There seems to be two ways to go about installing SSO; either use the scripts and don't change the default path or manually create a dedicated SSO account and let the install runtime execute the scripts to create the RSA accounts.  Either way, the install process definitely should be more streamlined than it is today.  Also, I always install all components separately instead of opting for the 'Simple Install' method.  The implementation seems to be sensitive to the order of installing the components, so I install manually and follow the order: 1. SSO, 2. Web Client, 3. Inventory Service, 4. vCenter.

Hopefully, this provides some assistance to those running into issues.

VCP-DV, VCP4, VCP3, NCDA, MCSE
0 Kudos