VMware Cloud Community
brettwmail
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 5.1.0a SS0 - No Windows Authentication for MSSQL - Why??

Hi All,

So I have downloaded the vSphere vCenter 5.1.0a ISO and gone to install SSO.  Noticed that the Windows Authenication checkbox is now missing when pointing to a MSSQL server and pre-created DB.  This is a known issue, documented in the realase notes, no workaround.

Why would this be removed, would like answer from VMware.

I assume I now have to run the script provided by VMware to generate the SQL user accounts for the SSO database and specifiy those in the SSO installer wizard.

Any comments or tips would be welcome.

Brett

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Argyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Windows Authentication box seem to have been a misstake in 5.1.0. The install required manual database scripts to be run and the scripts would create two sql users and not windows authentication users. I didn't actually test Windows Authentication for MSSQL in 5.1.0 SSO but it would have conflicted with the actual install instructions.

0 Kudos
brettwmail
Contributor
Contributor

The Windows Authentication checkbox worked fine in 5.0.1.  Used the DB scrpt to create the SSO database and then granted my existing vSphere service account dbo rights to the DB.  The SSO install then populated the DB and SSO worked fine.

Pretty much every other solution (VMware and Non-VMware) gives you the option to use a Service Account and Windows Authentication for SQL access.

Got it working fine with the RSA_DBA and RSA_USER SQL accounts, but I am putting this down as a fail on VMware's behalf.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Argyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I see :smileygrin:. A workaround might be to do an inplace upgrade of a working SSO running Windows authentication already.

0 Kudos