VMware Cloud Community
deaninkc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 4 licensing problem

A previous employee installed and evaluation copy of vSphere 4 and it's about to expire in 15 days. We purchased a license but with I bring up VSphere client all I see is are the roles and system log icons, the licensing icon and the update licensing link are not there. Any idea why they are not showing up? We have several virtual servers set up up don't want to start from scratch again.

Thanks in advances.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

highlighting the host, you should have a configuration tablicensed featuresedit. This is where you can plug in the new key.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Do you have the option to view the Inventory, either in the icons or the menus? If so, highlight the host and then click the Configuration tab on the right pane. Then you can use the Software -> Licensed Features link.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
deaninkc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The only option I have is to click on the Inventory Icon. When I do that I get a tabbed page with tabs titled Getting Started - Summary - Virtual Machines - Resource Allocation - Performance - Events - Permissions. There are no options for host or host configuration. I've gone through all the links and tabs and cannot find any licensing options. I can get into the consoles on all the virtual servers and perform what seems to be all the administrative functions.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

highlighting the host, you should have a configuration tablicensed featuresedit. This is where you can plug in the new key.

0 Kudos
deaninkc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I see what both of you were saying, when I clicked on the host I got the configuration tab and was able to update the license. Another quick question, I got two license keys one called "License key(s) for VMware vSphere 4 Essentials for 1 processor : " which is the one I used and which worked and "License key(s) for VMware vCenter Server 4 Essentials for vSphere : ". Is there another place this license needs to be updated?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you will have to install vCenter and then you call install the rest of the keys. From the Home menu of vCenter you'll see a licensing Icon.

deaninkc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That makes sense. I'm not that familar with VMWare, I got throw in to this and needed to get it updated in a hurry. I appreciated all the help.

0 Kudos