VMware Cloud Community
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere 4 and VDI

I just ran the upgrade advisor for vSphere and it said that support for VMware View Manager will not be untel Second Half 2009, So does this mean that i can not run vSphere untel then as we use Vmware View?

Stephen

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Current version of VMware View 3 does not support vSphere yet, there should be an update to View in 2H 2009 to support it.

More information can be found on this thread with the same explanation: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1232516#1232516

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I'm sure everything will be updated quickly once vSphere 4.0 released and VMware will allocate all their programmers resources to work on releasing new version for View, Lab Manager, SRM, etc...so its just a matter of time and I that's their priority, because if they want people to buy vSphere they have to have supported products line to go along. We have a VDI project requirement now, but we have hard time decide whether to wait longer for supported View 3.0x under vSphere or just use ESX 3.5 with View 3.0 and upgrade once it available! It would be nice to have concrete information to plan ahead of projects!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Mike Laverick did a test and it does seem to work:

http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/?p=1186

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Netwelle
Contributor
Contributor

I am worried about the licensing. I checked my upgrade list and my VDI is not listed. Included with the VDI we purchased, I got a 2 cpu license to VI3. So I am using that license on one of my ESX servers. If I upgrade to vsphere do I lose the ability to connect that server?

That Host is currently being used for DRS in a cluster. I purchased my new licenses about a month ago with confidence from VMware that my VDI license would cover one of my ESX servers. If that license does not transfer over I will lose a host. I have not had the license more then a year. I still have a support contract. I do not have a budget to purchase another license for that host this year.

Does anyone know how that will play out?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Unfortunately, the best legal answer is to call VMware Support and Licensing question is all free and explain your situation and they will answer you thoroughly. But as far as vSphere license goes, you will be automatically transfer your current license Standard, Enterprise licenses to vSphere and download the latest file and key from your License Portal and that should allow you to use the features allowed. But if you have to use Enterprise Plus, you would have to pay and upgrade the license to have more enhance features. Please refer to their new vSphere license guide for details.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

whilst VMware View 3 will work with vSphere, things like Desktop composer will not, therefore on linked clones. also it breaks Offline Desktops too

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
asutosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes. you are correct Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

that is good to hear. because at this time i am not using desktop composer, offline desktop or linked clones.

Stephen

0 Kudos