Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 4.0.0 Update 1 Installer Hangs on "Loading image.tgz"

I am attempting to install vSphere 4.0 ESXi on a new server:

SuperMicro SuperServer 6025B SATA motherboard

Intel E5405 2.0GHz 64-bit quad-core CPU

8GB DDR2 ECC RAM

AMCC 3Ware 9690-SA Storage Controller

I haven't created any RAID volumnes, and I just have 2 1TB HDDs in slots 0 and 1.

When I boot off of the installation CD, the unpacking of the compressed files continues until "Loading image.tgz" at which point the installer doesn't do anything and hangs indefinitely.

As far as I can tell, all of my system components are compatible.

What am I doing wrong?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It just sounded like ESXi was the better (and easier) route to go,

That's correct. From what I heard and read it will also be the future of ESX...

but I don't care as long as I can get it installed and running with a minimum of fuss.

I fully agree. ESX takes a little more steps when installing and updating, however it works the same way as ESXi (except for the Service Console).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bspolarich
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also tried connecting one of the SATA drives directly to the motherboard bypassing the 3Ware controller with the same result.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Taking a quick look at the VMware HCL (Supermicro) it appears your system is NOT supported for ESXi, it's only supported for ESX.

You can try downloading a 60-day trial of ESX 4.0 to see whether this will install. If so, it's a compatibility issue.

André

0 Kudos
bspolarich
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I guess I missed that detail. Should I be particularly passionate about ESX vs. ESXi? Basically this box is going to be in a branch office and will run some VMs and host data for disaster recovery purposes.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What I would do (instead of getting another server or trying to do any fancy things to make it work) is to try ESX 4.0. If it works, consider to buy VMware Essentials, which include licenses for 3 2-CPU hosts. I don't know where you are located, but at least in Germany, VMware offers the Essential package for ~500 Euro until the end of June.

André

0 Kudos
bspolarich
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's what I've already purchased (the Essentials Bundle). It just sounded like ESXi was the better (and easier) route to go, but I don't care as long as I can get it installed and running with a minimum of fuss.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It just sounded like ESXi was the better (and easier) route to go,

That's correct. From what I heard and read it will also be the future of ESX...

but I don't care as long as I can get it installed and running with a minimum of fuss.

I fully agree. ESX takes a little more steps when installing and updating, however it works the same way as ESXi (except for the Service Console).

André

0 Kudos