VMware Cloud Community
fotunba
Contributor
Contributor

vMotion Host CPU incompatibility error

I pulled one host out of a cluster, upgraded to vsphere, everything seems to be fine until I was testing vmotion, then got error "host cpu is incompatible with the virtual machine's requirements at CPUID Level 0x80000001 register "edx" (also attched image), doesn't matter if it's 32/64bit

The cluster has 7 host machines, all with identical hardware config (all running 680c G5 16CPU). The only thing I changed was vm3.5 to vSphere and enabled IVT, I have checked all settings, EVT mode is disabled on all machine (even with some already running vsphere) CPUID mask set to expose NX flag to guest

What possible could have happened? or need changing (cold migrate woks fine) but I can't proceed with other host until this is resovel and still hev well over 200 to do

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mackfs
Contributor
Contributor

The error message has a point. Do you really need to expose the NX/XD flag to the VM's OS?

0 Kudos
fotunba
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I see your your point but for the whole environment it's been set as it is, so the question is why the error after upgrade?

0 Kudos
mackfs
Contributor
Contributor

From what I understand, the error occurs because the NX/XD is being exposed to the guest. I would try to remove this attribute on machines that don't need it or try to enable Enhanced vMotion Compatibility.

0 Kudos