VMware Cloud Community
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vMA Hardware Version

Hi,

Just to confirm, I have vMA 4.1 and I see it is running hardware version 4. To my knowledge, one should not upgrade the hardware version/VMware Tools on a virtual appliance. Is that correct? I'm running esxi 4.1 U1 and was wondering if the vMA can/should be upgraded to hardware version 7

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

You can upgrade to a newer virtual hardware version, it will not impact vMA and I've done this for v7 and v8. The reason it's set at a lower virtual hardware so that is can be installed on other version of vSphere as well as run on Workstation or Fusion. Remember, that one usually upgrades the virtual hardware to leverage some new capability that is provided by the new virtual hardware version, else it is not necessary to upgrade.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

You can upgrade to a newer virtual hardware version, it will not impact vMA and I've done this for v7 and v8. The reason it's set at a lower virtual hardware so that is can be installed on other version of vSphere as well as run on Workstation or Fusion. Remember, that one usually upgrades the virtual hardware to leverage some new capability that is provided by the new virtual hardware version, else it is not necessary to upgrade.

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks William. That's the one part that I wasnt sure about. I didn't know if it was common practice to upgrade the hardware version after an upgrade, even if the new functionality will not be utilized.

Appreciate the help.

Mike

0 Kudos