VMware Cloud Community
vjrk83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vDS upgrade to 7.0 from 6.7 - Best Practices

Hello , 

I was trying to start the vDS upgrade from 6.5 to 7.0 after taking backup . But I do see the below warning message and not sure what does this mean. Has anyone completed the vDS upgrade to 7.0 ? All my esxi hosts in the cluster are in 7.0u1c versions and also using host profiles which has version 6.7 . Does Host profile version needs to be updated prior to vDS or is that independent ? Need some thoughts. Thanks.

vjrk83_0-1617211169878.png

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's actually an information rather than a warning. For details see Multicast Filtering Modes

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
vjrk83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok, should I just update vDS first and then upgrade the Host Profile versions. Any hierarchy procedure for upgrading those two ?

0 Kudos
vjrk83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And I believe the vDS upgrade is non-destructive and can be done anytime during business hours ? Any upgrade procedure document that is available would be great for reference. 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The update may cause a brief interruption, so please read Upgrade a vSphere Distributed Switch to a Later Version and the KB article that's mentioned in the document.

Regarding your Host Profiles question. I'd generally complete the configuration before updating Host Profiles, so that they contain the latest settings.

André

0 Kudos
vjrk83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The KB article is for 6.6 . Is there a one for 7.0 and are there any known issues in vDS 7.0 ? 

Reg Host Profile, I didn't understand what does it mean complete the configuration ? We're already using and have configuration updated. How to have a smooth upgrade of host profiles to ver 7.0 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> The KB article is for 6.6 . Is there a one for 7.0 and are there any known issues in vDS 7.0 ?
That's correct, but the KB article still contains recommendations that you should consider for the upgrade, especially since you are upgrading from a version < 6.6.

>>> Reg Host Profile, I didn't understand what does it mean complete the configuration ? ...
What I mean is export a host profile after the host is upgraded, and configuration changes (e.g. vDS upgrade) are done.

André

0 Kudos
vjrk83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. The upgrade was successful without any issues. 

0 Kudos