VMware Cloud Community
JasonBurrell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter upgrade offline

I would like to minimize the time my vCenter server is down by backing up the database on the current vCenter 2.5 server, restoring it on the new vCenter server, disconnecting the network on the new vCenter server, running the vCenter 4 install and then disconnecting the network from the old vCenter server and connecting the new vCenter server. I also have a lab manager environment in the same environment so is it possible to have lab manager continue to talk to the old vCenter server eventhough all thoes changes will not be replicated? Will I only loose performance data? I am trying to shorten my update window by using this method but the documents refer to shutting down the services on the old vCenter server once you move the database. If this is not possible does anyone have ideas on how to shorten the upgrade when moving to a new server?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It exists in vCenter 2.5 also. Instead of vCenter server settings under administration, the menu choice is Administration --> Virtual Center Management Server Configuration --> Runtime Settings --> VirtualCenter Server Unique ID.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, this method can be employed, however not recommended. When the new vCenter is brought up, it is similar to a situation where vCenter crashed and you restored the data to a new vCenter. You have to make sure the vCenter ID of the new vCenter matches the original, or you'll have problems. If you have hosts connected, you may have to update the host connection. It should work. And yes, the most you should lose is any config changes made during the time after the backup was taken, and any and all events/performance data.

-KjB

0 Kudos
JasonBurrell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please explain how the vCenter ID comes into play. The recommened method is to stop the vCenter services, move the database and then install the new vCenter, and in that case I don't have to worry about the vCenter ID. Does the vCenter ID change often? Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The vCenter id is randomly chosen during a vCenter install. If you want to move your hosts to a new vCenter host, with a new hostname, new IP, then a new vCenter id will be generated during vCenter install, and you will have to move your hosts from the old vCenter, to a new vCenter. If you want to maintain the same hostname/IP, and simply move the data, then you'll need to note the vCenter Unique id from vCenter settings. When you bring up your new vCenter, go into the configuration, and update that setting to match the original vCenter host, and restart vCenter. You should be good to go. Without this ID, the vCenter will appear different, even though you have the original vCenter's hostname/ip/data.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

this may be a little helpful as well

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/5850444

0 Kudos
JasonBurrell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I couldn't find this ID that you speak of. If I go into the vcenter client under file there is not a settings option. Also none of the vmware documents mention moving the ID when moving servers, any idea why that would be? Also where do I update this setting?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In vCenter 4, connect to vCenter using the vSphere client, go to Administration, vCenter Server Settings, Runtime Settings, vCenter Server Unique ID. Write down this number from the original vCenter. After your new vCenter install, find this setting again, and update the field.

-KjB

0 Kudos
JasonBurrell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am moving from Virtual Center 2.5 to 4 so do I not have to worry about this?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It exists in vCenter 2.5 also. Instead of vCenter server settings under administration, the menu choice is Administration --> Virtual Center Management Server Configuration --> Runtime Settings --> VirtualCenter Server Unique ID.

-KjB

0 Kudos