VMware Cloud Community
DSeaman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter on server 2008?

Will the new release of vCenter be supported on server 2008 32 or 64-bit? I'm in the planning phases of our vSphere upgrade path and I'd like to move everything to server 2008.

Derek Seaman
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

It was listed as supported in the beta on both x86 and x64 but vCenter only has a 32 bit version.

0 Kudos
paulmack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been running the beta on 2008 x86 and it runs fine.

Cheers

Paul

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I've also running beta with x86 version of Windows 2008 and it run fine but there isn't x64 bit for vCenter yet hopefully it will be available but I don't see any need for it especially vCenter server.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

I believe Virtual Center is not supported as of now officially by VMware. Lets keep our fingers crossed till we get the final confirmation.

Anil Gupta

Don’t fear changes, its constant in life, reduce your ecological footprint……………………..Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

Looking for a Virtualization Solution, look here.....

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
sradnidge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installs and runs like a dream on 2008 x64. I haven't done any load testing to see whether vCenter 4 would actually benefit from being a 64bit app, but I doubt it really needs to be.

Cheers

Stu

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

the current plan is to support the x64 (and x86) editions of w2k8 standard, enterprise and datacenter

best regards,

Lee Dilworth

0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

both should work. even you try to get a quote about the windows 2003 server lincense, they will ask you to purchase the win2k8 and install with win2k3. is up to you to run either of the OS. vCenter in vpshere should work on w2k8.

Craig

vExpert 2009

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos