VMware Cloud Community
jiqbal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Upgrade 6.5 to 6.5 Update 1 failed with "error code 1603"

Hi,

Two of my vCenter 6.5 on windows are now in a state that they can not be be used.

I try to upgrade vCenter from 6.5 to 6.5 update1 and failed with the error message "Installation of component VCSServiceManager failed with error code '1603'. Check the logs for more details."

Once I got this then installer try to roll back the install which took some time and during all this, vCenter was not available. Once rollback finished, I end up with the vCenter which does not work

any more.

I tried on another vCenter which was on Windows 2018 R2 and exactly the same issue.

I also try to uninstall the vCenter and re-install but uninstall does not work either and gives the error message of

"Uninstallation of component vcsservicemanager.msi failed with error code '1603'. Check the logs for more detail.

Now I have two vCenter which does not work and can not be uninstall either. Only option I have to create a new environment from scratch.

So, I am wondering if there a known issues on this for the windows based vCenter? I do not have problem upgrading on VCSA.

Regards,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jiqbal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Any response to this would be appreciated. If there any known issues or anything can be done to revert back to my vCenter 6.5 install?

0 Kudos
RLI2013
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi jiqbal

Please see community entryVsphere 6.5 U1 update on Windows Fails which solved my 1603 error.

HIH

BTW: the 1603 error from VCSServiceManager can have various root causes. The msi is the last package that is installed during setup. After that all Services are started and Errors from there refers to VCSServiceManager.msi which must not be true. In my Scenario the error actualy occured in the PSCClient Install part, so be Aware of the GUI error...

0 Kudos
lewisjr
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue on our Windows 2012 R2 Server.  My fix to get from 6.5u1 to 6.5u1e was the following:

1.) I disabled UAC in Windows, both the GUI and in in the registry.

Before attempting the install, I shutdown the server and took a snapshot.

Powered on the server and waited for all services to start.

2.) I then stopped the following services before attempting the upgrade:

DHCP Client

Windows Event Log

TCP/IP NetBiosHelper

Windows connection manager

IP Helper

WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service

Network List Service

Network Location Awareness

3.) I ran the upgrade as administrator and it sailed on through, no errors.  Took about 20 minutes.

I hope this helps because calling support was no help.

0 Kudos