VMware Cloud Community
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Update 2 Agent Issues

I am trying to upgrade vCenter U1 to U2 and ran the agent upgrade checker, which returned some failures.  I have a few 4.1 hosts in my environment still, and they spit out the "The ESXi host doesn't have enough available memory to install vCenter  agent(s)." message.

Can this be ignored, or do I need to install that patch referenced in the article http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101626...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BTW, that is vCenter 5.0 I am running now...

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

upgrade vCenter U1 to U2

Can you confirm on the version 4.1 or 5.0? since this kb looks more a match for you if you are using 5.0.

esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just saw that article!  I am running 4.1 and have just now put a host into maintenance mode and rebooted it. I'll run the checker once it's up and let you know.

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do we know what happens if I upgrade vcenter anyway?  Will the hosts be disconnected?

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So that reboot cleared up the failure for that host.  On to the next!

I do have two hosts that can't be rebooted as I have to pin VM's to them..  That is why I am wondering what happens if I proceed with the upgrade regardless of the failures.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I do have two hosts that can't be rebooted as I have to pin VM's to   them..  That is why I am wondering what happens if I proceed with the   upgrade regardless of the failures.

Well, your vsphere will be upgraded to the latest version. However it will not be able to manage the ESX hosts, since the vpxa agents[vsphere] agents cannot be pushed to the ESX servers.

Regarding your VMs, they will be still operational since they are running in the ESXi hosts without downtime, provided you have not configured DVS or set cluster configurations.

esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How about I remove them from vCenter prior to the upgrade, then add them back in?

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well, that is a possible workaround as mentioned in the kb. When you are removing the esx hosts from the vc, the existing vpxa agents get uninstalled, so freeing up the space.

When the esx is added to the new vc, the new vpxa gets pushed. Now the real catch is the size of the vpxa which gets pushed to the servers/

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting.  Perhaps I will try one of them.

0 Kudos