VMware Cloud Community
mhb2000
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Service not starting after 4.1 upgrade

Hello all,

We just upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 but the "VMware VirtualCenter Server" and "VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices" are not starting. I've tried to start service with local system account and local admin on server and DB owner account but no luck. I get "Windows could not start the VMware CirtualCenter Server on local computer. For more information, review the sytem event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor and refer to service-specific error code 2."

The event log has this:

The description for Event ID 1000 from source VMware VirtualCenter Server cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down...

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

vpxd log has the folowing error.

Added locale path C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\extensions/hostdiag/locale/ to locale map

Added locale path C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\extensions/license-ui/locale/ to locale map

Added locale path C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\extensions/VirtualCenter/locale/ to locale map

Calling: Vpxd::DbHelper::Init()

InitializeTable error: Column BOOT_OPTION_RETRY_ENABLED_FLG does not exist in table VPX_SN_CONFIG_INFO

Table VPX_SN_CONFIG_INFO creation failed.

Schema and XML mapping files are out-of-sync

Init failed: Column BOOT_OPTION_RETRY_ENABLED_FLG does not exist in table VPX_SN_CONFIG_INFO

Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down...

Forcing shutdown of VMware VirtualCenter now

I had a quick look at the vCenter DB and I can't seem to find the column (table) BOOT_OPTION_RETRY_ENABLED_FLG?

any ideas?

thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RAMESA
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you upload the installation and upgrade logs from %temp%?

Regards, Ramesh
0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Disable any other Webserver, especially all Microsoft IIS-Services and start vCenter Server Service again.

Regards

0 Kudos
mrpeter
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same exact issue and waiting for a call back from VMWare support.

0 Kudos
mhb2000
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help, but I ended up calling vmware support.

Support suggested I uninstall vCenter, restore DB and reinstall 4.0. All of which I've done and back up and running on 4.0.

Will attempt to upgrade to 4.1 again tomorrow hepfully it will go smoothly.

I sucessfully upgraded another vCenter to 4.1 without any problems few days ago not sure why this one was playing up.

Regards

0 Kudos
mrpeter
Contributor
Contributor

My initial database upgrade throw and exception so it didnt complete cleanly but unfortunately it was flagged upgraded so a reinstall would not try again. My repair steps were:

1. Uninstall vCenter 4.1

2. Restore a copy of the database

3. Changed the database from 2000 to 2005 compatibility mode (not sure if this is why the exception was thrown or not)

4. Install vCenter 4.1

All is well. Good luck

0 Kudos
CH-Dave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same problem here. Luckily, I took a snapshot of the VCS VM and the SQL VM right before I performed the attempted 4.1 upgrade and was able to revert to the snapshots right away.

Keep me posted on your 2nd attempt which will help me decide whether a call into VMware support is in order.

Side note: My VCS database compatibility mode is set to "SQL Server 2008 (100)".

0 Kudos
mhb2000
Contributor
Contributor

Just to update you guys, I rang VMWare support and attempted the upgrade to 4.1 with them on the phone. Ended up getting an error message about sql exception error (sorry don't know the exact message) while installing.

VMWare support applied this fix: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102444... on the DB.

We tried to reinstall 4.1 again. It completed but the services would not start, same as before. So I think the database schema had messed up due to the first attempt.

To cut the long story short. We unintalled vCenter 4.0, restored DB, applied FIX and then installed 4.1.....

Up and running now on 4.1......finally.

now the esx host.....but that should be easy!!

Good luck!!!

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

if you use Oracle request to DBA to kill all connections of user of virtual center in DB.

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
omifreak
Contributor
Contributor

I also did the update from vCenter 4.0 to 4.1, exactly the same problem with the start of the Virtual Center Service.

The problem seems to be a very slow ODBC connection to the DB on a SQL Server 2005.

When you wait 15 - 20 minutes the service is started and running fine.

VpxdDatastore::Load took 78117 ms

Calling: VpxdMoNetwork::Load() <--- waits here for 20 min

SQL execution took too long: SELECT DATACENTER_ID, NAME, ID FROM VPX_NETWORK

Execution elapsed time: 5231 ms

No solution in the moment.

0 Kudos
Dikem
Contributor
Contributor

It\s works, thanks a lot. Is there more systematic issue resolve?

0 Kudos