VMware Cloud Community
SteveAntle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Server upgrade from 4.1 to 5.0 FAILS

Hello,

Upgrade from vCenter Server 4.1 U2 to vCenter Server 5.0 fails with "Exception Thrown while executing SQL script".

Here's my environment:

• SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition (x64),
  • vCenter Server 4.1 Update 2 (Windows 2003 R2 x64 Standard Edition)

Here's an exercpt from the VCDatabaseUpgrade.log file:

Preparing upgrade.
DELETE FROM VPX_TABLE
Error in RunSqlScriptNonQuery(): Got exception: ERROR [42S02] [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'VPX_TABLE'.
DELETE FROM VPX_INDEX_COLUMN
Error in RunSqlScriptNonQuery(): Got exception: ERROR [42S02] [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'VPX_INDEX_COLUMN'.
DELETE FROM VPX_SCHEMA_HASH
Error in RunSqlScriptNonQuery(): Got exception: ERROR [42S02] [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'VPX_SCHEMA_HASH'.

...and here's an exercpt from the vminst.log file:

----------CheckValidDbUpgrade():---------
Getting Property DB_DSN_WINDOWS_AUTH = 1
Getting Property LogonUser = vcenter
SQLRETURN value is: -1
SqlState: <42S02>, NativeError: <208>, msg: <[Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'vcenter.VPX_VERSION'.>, msgLen: <84>
ODBC Error: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'vcenter.VPX_VERSION'.
----------IsDbCollationCaseSensitive():---------

Everything works perfectly in vCenter Server 4.1 (vCenter Server Service Health, etc.) prior to attempting the upgrade. When I browse the tables in the VIM_VCDB database, the tables that the log file indicates as "Invalid object name" exist.

Has anyone else run into this issue? It's preventing me from upgrading.

Thanks!

Thanks, Steve
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
SteveAntle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,

I solved my own problem so I thought I'd post it.

The issue was the transaction log size set for the vCenter Server database... the default was 500 MB so I changed it to 'unrestricted growth' and the upgrade succeeded. There were errors in the upgrade database conversion log file that did indicate transaction log size but it was well below the errors I posted previously.

Steve

Thanks, Steve
0 Kudos
jimraina
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Thanks to know that problem has been solved by you .

you are welcome to community any time regarding the vmware issuse .

0 Kudos
addyvandendoel
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that, it solved my problem. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
caryers
Contributor
Contributor

I determine that my SQL Express transaction log was already set to unrestricted or 2 TB. What else can be determine why I get these three error messages in the vCenter upgrade attempt:

[4/11/2012 1:13:52 PM] Error in RunSqlScriptNonQuery(): Got exception: ERROR [42S02] [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'VPX_TABLE'.
DELETE FROM VPX_INDEX_COLUMN
[4/11/2012 1:13:52 PM] Error in RunSqlScriptNonQuery(): Got exception: ERROR [42S02] [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'VPX_INDEX_COLUMN'.
DELETE FROM VPX_SCHEMA_HASH
[4/11/2012 1:13:52 PM] Error in RunSqlScriptNonQuery(): Got exception: ERROR [42S02] [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'VPX_SCHEMA_HASH'.

Thanks in advance...

Scott

0 Kudos
SimonShaw
Contributor
Contributor

Worked for me too.  It appears the upgrade grows the transaction log to roughly 4x the size of the database.  So if your database is around 4GB, ensure you keep at least another 16GB free.

0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

check the disk if it is already full.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos