VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter Server OS choice

We will be rebuilding or vCenter server on a 64-bit OS to support 4.1. It will either be WIndows 2008 X64 or Windows 2008 R2.

I don't really have a preference and wondered if anyone had compelling reasons to choose one of these over the other for vCenter. If there are no real differences to note, I may try to determine the perdominant VMware community choice and go with that thinking VMware support engineers will get the most calls and therefore be most familiar with that specific OS.

Please comment if you have any preference for one over the other and state your reasons.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I've found the straight Server 2008 x64 (standard or enterprise) to be less problematic than the R2 release... For that reason, I'm not using R2 at this point. I continue to test R2 from time to time, but the straight release, even when the service packs are applied, seems to be more stable/problem free...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

From what I understand there really is no difference. We currently use 2008 X64.

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If I had a choice I'd go R2. With the addition of PowerShell in the OS, it makes for easy remote management/changes.

ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would have to say as a server administrator, go with whatever is most consistent in your network. If you have mostly 2008 x64 go with that. If you have mostly 2008 R2 then go with that. Consistency Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I've found the straight Server 2008 x64 (standard or enterprise) to be less problematic than the R2 release... For that reason, I'm not using R2 at this point. I continue to test R2 from time to time, but the straight release, even when the service packs are applied, seems to be more stable/problem free...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Vmware supports either OS. Windows 2008 has been supported by vmware for a number of releases, so I would assume less bugs.

In addition 2008 has had a number of service pack's and 2008 r2 has not.

Conventional wisdom before 2008 r2 has been never to deploy a new windows server version until sp1.

For , running vcenter nothing in 2008 r2 is going to do much. Core parking would lower power usage on a physical, and the security model might reduce the number of patches.

I decided to go with 2008 because 4.0 did not support r2. In my opinion the vmware video drivers for 2008 r2 are shakier than 2008.

0 Kudos