VMware Cloud Community
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Server 4 Install - Workgroup now, Domain later?

I have am preparing to install vCenter Server 4.

We currently do not have authorization to join our domain

The vCenter Server Prerequisites say:

“Make sure that the system you use for your vCenter Server installation belongs to a domain, rather than a workgroup.”

The question I have is:

Is it ok to install vCenter Server 4 in a local workgroup and then later join vCenter Server 4 to a domain later or are there configuration issues and will this cause issues with how vCenter and its’ components function?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

You asked the same question in the below thread. Maybe it was answered for you?

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/270641

0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks

I do remember the post and the answers made sense in that if a domain is not joined, then some manual configuration would be required as in maintaining hosts file updates.

The definitive answer I need to know is:

If vCenter is installed in a workgroup, then later joined to a domain, are there any functionality issues with regard to vCenter or reconfigurations required after joining vCenter to a domain?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

as long as you keep the same host name and IP address, I cannot foresee any issues. However, we manage 9 vCenter instances and before adding any hosts into vCenter our Host OS is always joined to the domain.

>We currently do not have authorization to join our domain

can you not show management the installation documentation to get past this issue?

0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have discussed the domain issue with mgt.

They suggest trying in a workgroup first, and then join a domain later.

If issues arise, then reinstall.

I would rather attack this from having a domain and then join vCenter to it and then install vCenter.

Another issue came up was...

Are you required to have a DNS Server along with the domain when installing vCenter?

If you don’t have one, can you use hosts files and then stand up a DNS server later?

thanks

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Both supposed to work as expected (workgrop & no dns server) but best practice, you should join to your domain. While, you can also temporarily use /etc/hosts at vCenter and across ESX hosts.

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Are you required to have a DNS Server along with the domain when installing vCenter?

not required but again best practice. Any Active Directory I have ever seen has a DNS server. Proper name resoltuin can help resolve a lot of inconsistencies with HA, and vpx, DRS, etc.

If you don’t have one, can you use hosts files and then stand up a DNS server later?

yes.

I think bottom line is you need to convince upper management the requirements for vCenter are to have it in the domain. After all, all it is is another member server in your domain. I assume all other member servers in your AD enviornment are joined to the domain? Only exception I can see are DMZ Servers.

0 Kudos