VMware Cloud Community
MitalShah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Appliance 6.7 to 7 Upgrade Error: Migration Assistant is not running on Update Manager host machine

Hello there,

Whilst attempting to upgrade a vCenter 6.7U3 Appliance (6.7.0.45000, Build number 16708996) to VCSA7 (7.0.0d Build 16749653), two attempts have been unsuccessful, with below error at Upgrade Stage 2 where the VCSA7 appliance has been successfully deployed and migration of configs is to happen next.

pastedImage_31.png

Error: Migration Assistant is not running on Update Manager host machine HOSTNAME_FQDN

Resolution

Update Manager installed on HOSTNAME_FQDN will be upgraded as part of the vCenter Server upgrade process and will be migrated on the new vCenter Server Appliance. Run Migration Assistant on Update Manager host machine HOSTNAME_FQDN, and keep the Migration Assistant window open until the (vCenter Server) migration process completes

Warning: vCenter External Extensions

Description

This vCenter Server has extensions registered that cannot be upgraded to or may not work with the new vCenter Server. Extensions: Virtual Storage Console (by NetApp, Inc.) on https://IP_ADDRESS:8143/vSphereExtensionDescriptor.xml, Virtual Storage Console (by NetApp, Inc.) on https://IP_ADDRESS:8143/webclient_deployment_bundle,

Resolution

Please ensure extensions are compatible with the new vCenter Server and re-register extensions with the new vCenter Server after upgrade. Please refer to the vSphere documentation on extensions, and the upgrade and interoperability guides.

Upon checking the vCenter Server UI, did note that Update Manager shows “An unexpected error has occurred" and have been unable to resolve this even after deploying a new VCSA6.7U3 and importing a backup. Update Manager Service however is started and restarting the service or appliance has no impact on the error.

pastedImage_29.png

After the VCSA Upgrade fails, it leaves the VCSA Management Interface showing “Update installation in progress”, and have to overcome it via the steps in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/67179

Any suggestions or guidance? Have a Support SR open since last week but responses are too slow and suggested responses haven't helped yet.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Where you using Update Manager in Windows before? Probably when you previously configured it you forgot about this because it is a detecting an external Update Manager.

I would also recommend you to unregister the Update Manager extension using the MOB to avoid whatever Update Manager issue you face: VMware Knowledge Base.

After the upgrade (if not done automatically) you can run the next commands from inside the vCenter Server:

1. /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/vmware-vciInstallUtils -C /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/ -L /var/log/vmware/vmware-updatemgr/ -I /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/ -v <vCenter Server FQDN> -p 80 -U <SSO Administrator Account> -P '<Password>' -S /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/extension.xml -O extupdate

2. chown updatemgr:updatemgr /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/vci-integrity.xml

3. Reboot the vCenter Server.

Of course take backup and a snapshot before doing this.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey MitalShah​,

Are you running an Upgrade or Migration operation? Migration Assistant as far as I remember is used in migration scenarios from vCenter Windows to VCSA. You should choose the upgrade option while opening the wizard.

If I am wrong and this error appears even using the Upgrade option I suggest you to re-initialize the Update Manager database before running to upgrade to avoid any issues during the process: VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere Upgrade & Install area (as requested by VMware support)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
MitalShah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Lalegre​,

We used the upgrade option, not migrate which is for Windows based vCenter to the Appliance. However, the upgrade process would migrate the configs and data to new VCSA7 appliance as part of the steps. It is therefore strange why it refers to Migration Assistant which to my understanding seems related to Windows-based vCenter Server. Our previous VCSA 6.5 was also an appliance that ran fine and was upgraded to VCSA.

To overcome the Update Manager 'An unexpected error has occured' issue, we had reset the database like you advise (via https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147284​ ), but it did not resolve the issue. We also restored a backup to a newly deployed VCSA 6.7U3 appliance but it didn't resolve 'An unexpected error has occured' issue either.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Where you using Update Manager in Windows before? Probably when you previously configured it you forgot about this because it is a detecting an external Update Manager.

I would also recommend you to unregister the Update Manager extension using the MOB to avoid whatever Update Manager issue you face: VMware Knowledge Base.

After the upgrade (if not done automatically) you can run the next commands from inside the vCenter Server:

1. /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/vmware-vciInstallUtils -C /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/ -L /var/log/vmware/vmware-updatemgr/ -I /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/ -v <vCenter Server FQDN> -p 80 -U <SSO Administrator Account> -P '<Password>' -S /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/extension.xml -O extupdate

2. chown updatemgr:updatemgr /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/vci-integrity.xml

3. Reboot the vCenter Server.

Of course take backup and a snapshot before doing this.

MitalShah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately I'm not aware if Update Manager was used in Windows in older versions, strange if VCSA 6.5, 6.7 were working fine before, they allowed successful updates to vSphere hosts, and now its causing an issue. If it helps, below is the list of Plugs visible on vCenter. I had already removed the vCenter Operations plug-ins which appears as Failed via MOB. Rest appear as warnings/incompatible hence didn't expect them to prevent the upgrade - just wouldn't work. The Update Manager ones are recent (versions 6.7 ) and there are no older ones for any earlier Windows related ones.

VCSA6.7 Client Plugins - Copy.png

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Try the process I shared with you and if it fails you can rollback.

0 Kudos
MitalShah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Lalegre  - these were the same commands VMware Support ran and which resolved the Update Manager issue eventually.

Proceeded with vCenter Upgrade to v7 and then faced another issue right towards the end of upgrade, as experienced on this other thread Issue in upgrading VCSA 6.7 -&gt; 7.0 (Failed Step 2 Install - A problem occurred while - Starting V...

Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Glad it worked!

0 Kudos