VMware Cloud Community
adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vCenter Appliance 5.5 to 6.0 Migration Questions

Hi all,

My production environment consists of 2 vCenter 5.5 U2e appliances (VCSA), one per physical location.  Due to the limitations in the VCSA there is no linked mode, and each appliance has its own internal SSO configuration.  In 5.5, VMware was pushing customers to use the VCSA and the embedded database.  Since we were well within the limitations of the appliance and knew that was the future of vCenter, we migrated to it and put the ugly Windows based vCenter with SQL behind us.

Now VMware is saying that they want vCenter and the PSC on separate VMs/appliances.  Oh but wait, if you are on a 5.5 VCSA and want to upgrade, you can only upgrade to a 6.0 with an embedded PSC.  So once again VMware changes their mind.

Based on all of this, what are my options?  Ideally I'd like to keep the separate vCenters on the appliance, but use one single PSC instance in an HA config, use linked mode, etc.  It won't be the end of the world if I have to keep things the same way they are now (completely separated, no linked mode), but it seems there should be an easier way.

I saw a few articles about creating a new SSO and pointing appliances at it, but those were focused on Windows-based installs.  I found this article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=211391...

But it states that what I'd like to do isn't supported.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Replying to myself here.  I just received a reply from our SE stating that vSphere 6 U1 should support upgrading in place and pointing to an external PSC.  He expects this to be released in Q3.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Replying to myself here.  I just received a reply from our SE stating that vSphere 6 U1 should support upgrading in place and pointing to an external PSC.  He expects this to be released in Q3.

0 Kudos