VMware Cloud Community
bulabog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Agent

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this question has been asked before.

We are about to start the upgrade from ESX3.5U5 to vSphere4.1

We are going to upgrade our vCenter 2.5 (2003 32bit) to a new machine (2008R2) and acquire the same hostname and IP. SQL database will be copied from a SQL2000 to SQL2008 server.

My first questions is, is it necessary to use the Data Migration tool or can we just copy the SSL certs, and License files (we will still have ESX 3.5u5 servers) and initiate the install manually on the new server?

2nd question, on the step where it prompts you to either upgrade the vCenter Agent on each ESX host manually or automatically, if we choose manual - does that mean that all our ESX hosts will not be on vCenter after the upgrade and we will have to re-add/reconfigure them into the cluster once we reconnect them? Will that cause downtime?

If we choose automatic, will the vCenter agent on each ESX host be upgraded at the same time and will that cause the host to go into maintenance mode or reboot?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

there is no need to copy the SSL, license file (version 4 uses a serial number now). i would advise installation a new ESXi on the new hosts. you will need to generate the new key for version 4.

i would advise doing a manual and you have a total control. the hosts will not inccur any down time during the readding. in fact even if the vcenter server is down the hosts will still continue to work fine.

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

> My first questions is, is it necessary to use the Data Migration tool or can we just copy the SSL certs, and License files (we will still have ESX 3.5u5 >servers) and initiate the install manually on the new server?

It may or may not migrate your all data. Recommand to use the datamigration tool and follow the mentioned steps to do the installation , Refer vSphere 4.1 upgrade guide

>  2nd question, on the step where it prompts you to either upgrade the vCenter Agent on each ESX host manually or automatically, if we choose manual

> does that mean that all our ESX hosts will not be on vCenter after the upgrade and we will have to re-add/reconfigure them into the cluster once we >reconnect them? Will that cause downtime?

If you use manual, It make all the host is part of VC invertory but it will be disconnected state, you have to go and connect it manually. The host will connect back without asking username and password as it has been migrated

If you choose Automatic, all the host vCenter Agent will get upgraded and connect it back to vCenter server.

Thanks

Nithin

--Nithin
0 Kudos
bulabog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks!

0 Kudos