VMware Cloud Community
nettech1
Expert
Expert

vCenter 7.0 migration questions

Hi,

We have 3 x 6.5u3 vCenters all joined to the same external PSC. Looking to move up to 7.0, converge to an embedded PSC and rename vCenters.

2 vCenters (HQ and DR) can be down during the upgrade, however taking our VDI vCenter could preset a challenge as with it being down new VMs can't be provisioned.

Given our setup, should we bother going through the migration or just stand up new vcenters? I realize that starting from scratch would require recreating all scheduled jobs in vcenter, re-configuring vcenter access for users and touching many 3rd party apps (monitoring / backup) that connect to vCenter. I also realize that renaming vcenters would require going through all 3rd party apps to point them to the new vcenter names.

If we go the convergence  / migration path. Should we start with VDI vcenter or leave it for the last?

One of the road blocks I already see is we can't rename until we get away from the external PSC.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere Upgrade & Install area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jonastro
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Thanks for posting in VMware communities.

Re-install or deploying a new vCenter should always be considered as the last option.

I would recommend starting the converge + migration process and go for the HQ and DR sites first and keep the VDI VC for the last as you cannot afford downtime.

I have written step by step article on converge/migration process to 7.0 here - https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vsphere/upgradecenter/blog/2020/05/19/vsphere-7-instal...

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Jonathan

VMware Install/Upgrade Team

VMware Cloud Foundation
nettech1
Expert
Expert

While checking interoperability matrix, I am seeing horizon 7.12 as the only supported build on esxi 7.0. Looks like we have to move to 6.7 as we aren't ready to move Horizon environment up.

Wondering if we should upgrade to 6.7 first while keeping PSC external and converge after all components have been upgraded to 6.7?

Thanks

0 Kudos