VMware Cloud Community
Interloper1
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 6.7 Emergency Mode after host upgrade.

In preparation to upgrade a 2 host cluster, I moved VMs including vCSA to one and upgraded the other host from 6.7u3 Build 16713306 to Build 17700523. After vMotioning them back, vCSA got an error message on the console: NMI Watchdog BUG Softlockup CPU stuck for 180s.

Restarting vCSA quickly shows: Failed to start File System Check on /dev/seat_vg/seat

and welcomes me to Emergency Mode. After posting root password twice, most commands result in "Session Expired" but I can enter Bash shell.

When connecting to that vSphere host, the vCSA VM shows "The configured guest OS (Other 3.x Linux for this VM does not match the guest that is currently running (VMware Photon OS)

I do have a vCSA backup from 3 days, and still the other host to upgrade. Any help?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dvandelaar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Not sure if the problems you mention are necessarily related. The Failed to start.. message however does point to a problem, probably with your root password. It is mentioned in a previous post:

Failed to start File System Check on /dev/seat_vg/... - VMware Technology Network VMTN

This post mentions a KB article, which I would follow first: "Failed to start file system check on /dev/disk..." error on Photon OS based virtual appliances (214...

If that results to nothing I would redeploy the VCSA and use the backup you have.

0 Kudos
Interloper1
Contributor
Contributor

I restored from backup. Was curious how to confront the issue.

0 Kudos