VMware Cloud Community
lgsiang1
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 5 installation error

Hi All,

I'm having problem to install vCenter 5.0 using bundle sql 2008 express on windows 2003 R2 (64-bit) SP2 OS.

The error message : The Microsoft SQL Server Express edition installer returned error code '3699426085'

Any idea? Thanks.

15 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Check the event viewer for a more detailed error. Only with this, no clue.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

check, does this machine has an instance of  SQL already running or any files left over after an MSSQL unistallation.

0 Kudos
raj196
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

pleae provide us little bit moreinformation about your hardware , seems its not known issue , becaue www also no more information availabel .

0 Kudos
nhanhcao
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am getting the same error message: The Microsoft SQL Server Express edition installer returned error code '3699426085'

Install vCenter 5.0 using bundle sql 2008 express on windows 2003 64 bit SP2 (4 gb mem and 2 core)

Thanks

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

There might be a SQL instance present on your computer.

Install "Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Uninstall Everything that says SQL......

And try after that

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
nhanhcao
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply,

I resovled it...re-install vcenter 4.1 and upgraded to vcenter 5 again..

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Check the installer account, the account that does the install.

It must have local security "Log on as service".

Once it was set up the issue was resolved.

0 Kudos
twillson
Contributor
Contributor

Hi csharlack - just a bit more detail please. Do you mean the account logged in and performing the install (ie: Administrator) or are you referring to the system installer account (Trusted Installer) or am I way out in left field?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, that’s what I meant twillson.

Cheers

0 Kudos
twillson
Contributor
Contributor

Sweet - got it. Also learned that instead of using the autorun menu to begin the install, it is best to browse the install cd, drill down to the actual executable you want, and then use "run as administrator" from there. If in doubt which exe to use, start the install from the autorun menu, and then when it asks you to confirm that you want to run the program, note which one it is using, cancel the confirmation, and then go do it manually.

Worked for me! 

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Happy to see its working and thank you for sharing the info.

0 Kudos
MarcoASmoraes
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem.

I'm trying install the vcenter 5 U1b in Windows 2008 R2 (64bits), but I can't finished because the erroe message appears: " The Microsoft SQL Server Express edition installer returned error code '3699426085' "

This Server only has the SO installed with all criticals updates.

I already checked:

- Local Policy --> Log as service

- Runas administrator

- Other installation of SQL

- firewall is off

- without antivirus

any suggestions ?

thanks and Regards,

Marco Moraes

MarcoASmoraes
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

After several attempts at installing vCenter without success, I found the solution to this error message.

See the KB2000257 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000257/en-us ).

Basically, checked the 3 policies in Local Policies and add the user installation these policies:

Backup files and directories

Debug Programs

Manage auditing and security log

To add the rights to the local administrator account, follow these steps:

1. Log on to the computer as a user who has administrative credentials.
  2. Click Start, click Run, type Control admintools, and then click OK.
  3. Double-click Local Security Policy.
  4. In the Local Security Settings dialog box, click Local Policies, double-click User Rights Assignment, and then double-click Backup Files and Directories.
  5. In the Backup Files and Directories Properties dialog box, click Add User or Group.
  6. In the Select User or Groups dialog box, type the user account that is being used for setup, and then click OK two times.
  7. Repeat the procedure for the other two policies that are mentioned in the "Cause" section.
  8. On the File menu, click Exit to close the Local Security Settings dialog box.

For me, it was missing the permission in Debug Programs policy.

Thanks and Regards,

Marco Moraes.

onoski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing and glad to hear you have found the solution.

0 Kudos
cosonok
Contributor
Contributor

I came across the error - The Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition installer returned error code '2226847745'.

In this instance it was all my fault :smileyplain: ; I was setting up a lab in VMware Workstation and feeling lazy so decided to skip sysprep-ing my VMs - big mistake! (2 x DCs & 2 x VCs all cloned from the same 2008R2 template without a sysprep!)

Worked fine when I decided to do the job properly! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos