VMware Cloud Community
JBritt1234
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 5.5 upgrade & SRM

Folks,

I'm having a bit of issue tracking down what best to do here.  I'm working on a upgrade/migration from Windows vCenter Server 5.5 to a 6.5 VCSA using the migration assistant.

The question comes in, with a implementation of SRM.  First, there are several reasons why we want to essentially abandon the current SRM environment.  It's not fully setup and there are some major changes we would like to make to it.

So, my question is, can I just follow through with the Migration as-is, or do I need to take steps prior to remove SRM.  If I start the migration as-is, will I hit a wall with the migration assistant?  For example, will it fail since it's too big of a jump for SRM, not going to 6.0 first?

My plan after the vCenter upgrade would be to just stand up a new server OS to house SRM, and install fresh.  The replication is handled by the arrays.

Thanks for any assistance!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BerndtSchumann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Work Space: VMWare SRM v5.8.1 Upgrade to v6.1.x or v6.5.x check this article, it may give you more information on whether it is worth/possible at all.

And according to https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/why-upgrade-to-vmware-vsphere-6-5-or-why-not​ upgrading to 6.5 should be beneficial, as 5.5 is EOL very soon, among other reasons.

0 Kudos