VMware Cloud Community
fraber01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 5.1 services distribution

I am currently performing an upgrade from ESXi 4.1 to ESXi 5.1.

I"ve decided to use split the services across 2 vCenters.

I am wondering, wich services should go where, is there any recommandations regarding the best way to distribute the modules across 2 servers?

I am thinking to have: SSO, Inventory Service and vCenter Server on the first host

ant VUM, Web Client, Syslog colector and Dump Collector on the second host.

What do you think about this 'setup'?

Should I move SSO to the second host?

4 Replies
JasonPearceAtRi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The SSO service can be for multiple vCenter servers while the Inventory service is tied to a single vCenter server.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Lets clarify.

Vcenter is an application to manage ESXi hosts. when you two vCenter does it mean, you have installed two vCenter application in your 4.1 environment.

If yes, On first server, Install primary SSO and First vCenter and then you can install VUM, web client and collector application on the same server. Similarly install the secondary SSO and vCenter and corresponding applications on second server.

If you have only one vCenter Application installed on 4.1, then you can have the configuration specified mentioned in your query itself.

0 Kudos
prashanthbgoud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

'SSO' once installed can be used for multiple vCenters, 'Inventory service' and 'vCenter server' should be installed every-time you need a vCenter(limited to Single vCenter).

if you are planning for a bigger environment, I would suggest

1. SSO only
  2. Inventory service, vCenter VUM, Syslog colector and Dump Collector.
  3. Web Client as VM.
If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful" Best Regards, Prashanth
fraber01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I currently have one vCenter in my 4.1 environnment. 

My question is about the 5.1 setup I am planning.  As you know, it's possible to divide the services on more than one server, instead of running everything on a single machine.

0 Kudos