VMware Cloud Community
aratcliffe64
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 5.0 to 5.1 upgrade / install

DON'T DO IT!

This is my advice if you want to upgrade from vCenter 5.0 to 5.1 - forget it!

We have just spent two days trying to get SSO to allow us logon through AD accounts and it just won't work for us.

In the process we have scrapped the original vcenter 5.0 install and tried a fresh install of 5.1 but it still it won't work. We are now putting vcenter 5.0 back on after a wasted two days.

We are a tiny customer we use vSphere business essentials, and it's great, really good value for money and it's generally a joy to work with. However, I can't recommend the upgrade to 5.1.

I can see the user accounts from my AD fine but I can't login with any of them. I have added users using the web client as stated in lots of blog posts but nothing works.

I know I'm sounding off a bit but that's was a real frustrating exercise and wasted two days of my time!!!!

I'll be wiating for 5.2 now before we try this again.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

couldnt agree more. this was a disastrous upgrade. for anyone going to do this make sure you have your database backup and snapshot(s) of vcenter 5.0 before you try this nonsense

0 Kudos
capriguy84
Contributor
Contributor

I agree, Why not make Single-Sign ON as an Add-on than making mandatory for upgrade.

Indeed, I had to blow away vCenter 5.0 and fresh-install it. The username field now requires domain\username instead of just username(the way it worked previously).

Also had my vSphere host getting hosed during the upgrade. We being a small shop didn't have Support Contract and now paying to get this resolved.

Such a pain!!!

0 Kudos
gbhorne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I understand your pain guys. The upgrade can be a nightmare. Try this guy http://derek858.blogspot.com/2012/09/vmware-vcenter-51-installation-part-1.html

He has some really good points on 5.1

I toyed with my lab upgrade for weeks before I actually got it working.

VCP 5.1, CASP, SSSE, CCDA
0 Kudos