VMware Cloud Community
bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vCenter 4.1 backup tool pointing to the wrong SQL server instance

I tried to do the backup using the data migration tool for the new vCenter server upgrade and I got the following error message.:

[backup]  Backing up DB...  Please do not stop this program.
  [backup]  DB logs: Msg 911, Level 16, State 11, Server NIKE, Line 1

Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'VIM_VCDB'. No entry found with that name. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Server NIKE, Line 1

Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'VIM_VCDB'. No entry found with that name. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Server NIKE, Line 1

This is probably because we have multiple SQL server instances. It it pointing to the localhost, which is incorrect. I need it to point to localhost\SQLEXP_VCDB.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

After a little digging I think I may have found the problem. When it gets to the DB Instance name, it doesn't actually popular. I noticed in the script it calls the get_server_db_instance_name utility which looks in the registry. It seems like the registry entry is there so I'm not really sure why it isn't pulling the values.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I need it to point to localhost\SQLEXP_VCDB.

Not a VM problem, it's a SQL Express problem. You chose a non-standard SQL name, VM Ware assumes the standard instance.

And another side note, this is why SQL Express is NOT recommended. It's easy to use, but USE SQL Standard / Enterprise and you won't have these issues.

I would look around MS forums for help on SQL Express on how to set that instance to the default, so VM Ware can find it. Otherwise this isn't a VM ware related issue.

bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I actually got it to work properly. I've seemed to have created another problem in the actual migration, but that's another post. Thanks for the comment.

0 Kudos
meatball15
Contributor
Contributor

How did you get it working?

0 Kudos
bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I had to edit a few of the Perl scripts to manually point to the SQL_EXP instance rather than the SQL Enterprise instance.

0 Kudos
jrene
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having the same issue.

Could you pass along your solution? Thank you. JR

0 Kudos
Atmos4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same problem on a system with multiple SQL instances.

This is what I did to fix it:

Open registry key "HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter\" and change the value of DbInstanceName to the Name of your vCenter SQL instance, by default SQLEXP_VIM.

0 Kudos