VMware Cloud Community
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 4.0 update 2 still require 32bit ODBC? + SQL Express questions

Ironically, despite recommending installing vCenter into a 64bit Windows, vCenter still require us to have a 32bit DSN installed before it can access a database. Read this: http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/datacenter/?p=1791. Does the new vCenter 4.0 update 2 still have this ironic issue?

Also, I have problem upgrading our vCenter 4.0 update 1 to update 2 by downgrading the vCenter database from SQL Server down to Express. Instead of selecting existing database, I select "Install a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express instance". And vCenter installation shows: "The wizard was interrupted before VMware vCenter Server could be completely installed"

The reason for downgrading is that currently we have multiple-points of failure due to having the vCenter's database running as a VM, which result in having a situation whereby we can't afford to shutdown neither the VM or the ESX for patching. A chicken and egg issue.

If I want to install SQL Express manually and create the database first so that it will appear in the vCenter installation selection, how do I proceed?

1. Do I install x86 or x64 version of SQL Express into Windows Server 2008 r2 for vCenter usage?

2. Is it possible to backup vCenter SQL Server 2005 database and import into SQL Express 2005? Is it compatible?

btw, please stop telling me that I am not suppose to use Express since vmware supported it for small deployment which is exactly our kind of environment. Also, vmware has clarified that we do NOT need a domain to have vCenter working.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
eclipse4ever
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

If it was me I would make a new VM installation and place the vCenter on the new VM.

Especially when you are running a small environment it should be easy to start from scratch.

I am unsure if you can use the full blood db within the express version, it might give you a lot extra trouble.

We are running 300 VM's in a 10 host cluster with a VM vCenter server without any problems.

We have installed a SQL server 2008 DB instead of using the express version.

Tim

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

btw, please stop telling me that I am not suppose to use Express since vmware supported it for small deployment which is exactly our kind of environment. Also, vmware has clarified that we do NOT need a domain to have vCenter working.

There are only 2 says to do anything. The right way and the WRONG way. What you are doing is the WRONG way.

If you want to continue, that's fine. But whenever you ask a question and you expect and answer we will CONTINUE to remind people on how to do things the RIGHT way, because this is a SHARED community. Other people will see these responses, and someone will be under the mistaken impression that it's "OK" to use SQL Express, it is NOT.

VM Ware says you can use it for SMALL environments, meaning introductory, meaning TESTING, meaning try before you buy. Anyone with any semblance of organization or company will NOT use Express, they will use regular versions of SQL. So this message you posted tells me you don't understand how to work with SQL, and the fact that you are defensive tells me you are stubborn, and you are not interested in doing things the correct way, so it won't matter what advice we give, you won't listen to reason anyway..

So you should NOT use Express, if you are having a problem, get help from SQL experts, not just downgrade to a version you understand. Get a book on SQL and maybe you can understand basic principles like remote connections, SQL CPU affinity and Database throughput and memory usage and maybe you will understand why it's a bad idea to run SQL Express, and NOT run SQL local to vCenter.

That's why people keep telling you NOT to use Express. Maybe you should take the hint, let someone else that's more qualified setup the SQL environment if you don't know how to do it.

It's not multiple points of failure, it's load sharing, and it's the proper way to run SQL. The problem is you prefer easy than correct, and later on this will be a problem, so if you don't learn it NOW you won't EVER get it right. You should learn the proper way before you get yourself in a critical situation.

Do I install x86 or x64 version of SQL Express into Windows Server 2008 r2 for vCenter usage?

64-bit is recommended (for full versions of SQL)

Is it possible to backup vCenter SQL Server 2005 database and import into SQL Express 2005? Is it compatible?

No, you cannot import.

And yes 32-bit ODBC is still a requirement

which result in having a situation whereby we can't afford to shutdown neither the VM or the ESX for patching. A chicken and egg issue.

Another area you overlooked and didn't properly plan or implement. It's in the manual, don't put SQL VM in your cluster you are managing from vCenter. Common sense and Documented in the manual.

0 Kudos
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RParker,

Please understand that most small companies (such as in my case) have very limited budget on expenses, especially when it comes to IT infrastructure. It's really not realistic to demand that all vmware users to implement the perfect ideal setup. To expect a small company with budget for only 3 physical servers to use up to 2/3 of the resources just to support 1/3 of it for production, it's just wastage. (1 for vCenter and 1 for SQL just to support 1 ESX server)

Moreover, vmware has NEVER state that the usage of Express is meant for testing purpose. In fact, vmware has clearly state that it's for small production deployment of up to 50 VMs. So I'm quite sure that this is the RIGHT way for small companies with very limited budget for low requirements.

Also, it's not that I have a problem setting up SQL server. I never had any problem with SQL setup as I have previously used SQL 2005 Server as a VM for vCenter successfully, but found that I am not able to update the ESX host with this VM running in it.

My main problem is money. We do not have extra cash to pay for additional server. No extra cash to pay for additional SQL license. If resources isn't an issue, who doesn't want to have a reliable (and expensive) trouble free top-of-the-line setup, isn't it?

0 Kudos
jasoncllsystems
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes $$$ is the main concern.

My customer are running SQL Express with 3 ESX hosts and 30 VMs more than a year. If you can justify then just do it.

Regards,

jlchannel

MALAYSIA VMware Communities

http://www.malaysiavm.com

'If you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers ***

http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos