VMware Cloud Community
BenHay
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

upgrading from ESXi 5.1 to ESXi 6.0 with 2 datastores on the local host

Hi, I am a little new to vsphere stuff...

I currently have an ESXi 5.1 host that i want to upgrade to 6.0. I did this with another host with a few VMs on that had a single datastore, and simply ran the installer, pointed it at the current datastore so it updated the system but kept all my config and VMs in tact.

However with this other host, it's datastore was expanded at some point and instead of expanding the datastore, they created an additional one.

So my question now is, if i run the installer, which datastore do i point it at, and are there likely to be any problems that i could encounter?

thanks and i look forward to hearing from someone soon Smiley Happy

Ben

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vHaridas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

one datastore or multiple datastore is don't matter during ESXi installation or upgrade.

I guess, you are booting server using ESXi installer ISO.

During Installation(upgrade) select the Storage(disk or USB/flash storage) where old ESXi is Installed.

This will detect the existing ESXi installation will prompt you to upgrade instead of doing fresh ESXi installation.

During upgrade select Preserve existing VMFS and upgrade' option to make sure you  retain old VMs and old ESXi configuration.

Thanks,

Haridas

Virtual Admin

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

one datastore or multiple datastore is don't matter during ESXi installation or upgrade.

I guess, you are booting server using ESXi installer ISO.

During Installation(upgrade) select the Storage(disk or USB/flash storage) where old ESXi is Installed.

This will detect the existing ESXi installation will prompt you to upgrade instead of doing fresh ESXi installation.

During upgrade select Preserve existing VMFS and upgrade' option to make sure you  retain old VMs and old ESXi configuration.

Thanks,

Haridas

Virtual Admin

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
BenHay
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great thank you so much for a quick a full answer.

I suspected this was the case but didn't want to assume then mess something up.

thanks again.

Ben

0 Kudos