VMware Cloud Community
Mdolphin
Contributor
Contributor

upgraded it to Esxi 5.1 U2 Hypervisor - stuck on 24% with the following error :(Errno 39) Directory not empty

Hi all,

I will like if someone can help me with my issue.

I have IBM server : IBM System X 3550 M2 [794622G] model.

I upgraded my Esxi 4.1 to Esxi 5.1.0 - build 1483097 ( its a customize ISO Image from IBM).

The issue is that its a stand a lone host, and now I've Evaluation mode ' that will expire after 60 days.

I thought to upgraded it to Esxi 5.1 U2 build 1483097 Hypervisor form Vmware site, so I could use the free license.

But when I started the upgrading  - it's stuck on 24% with the following error :(Errno 39) Directory not empty: 'vmfs/volumes/f2dc807a-77e1-72716789cd30/state.6960526'

Can anyone Help or guide me how to solve it, without using update manager?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
eddzta
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mdolphin,

Could you run through the steps outlined in the following KB and see if you have any luck? VMware KB: Upgrading a VMware ESXi host fails with the error: Cannot run upgrade script on host

Let us know if this helps with your issue at all.

0 Kudos
Mdolphin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Eddzta,

Thanks for your respond, I've all ready try to use this KB, but it didn't help to solve it.

I gave up trying to fixed it, so I installed the Esxi 5.1 U2 as new and not as an upgrade.

And now, when I want to set the free license I got from Vmware for this version give me that error:

ex.PNG

What can I do?

0 Kudos
eddzta
Contributor
Contributor

I believe that there has been a Physical RAM limitation imposed on ESXi Hypervisor version 5.1 and upwards of 32GB.

If the host has more than 32GB of pRAM installed then ESXi will not boot until it is below or equal to the maximum limit, so it looks like you may need to downgrade back to 5.0 or look at purchasing the VMware Essentials kit which will overcome this limitation. Either that or pull out 32GB from the physical server and use a different box!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news 😞

0 Kudos