VMware Cloud Community
beckhamk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

upgrade windows vm to v7 any issues?

We have many vms still on the old vmware v3.5 virtual machine format and wanted to know if there are any issues by simply upgrading the hardware and not changing anything else. As in we do not have to update nics at this time.

BTW: I find it iritating that vmware didnt make the new vmexnet v3 the same device type as the previous version thus making the upgrade easier. But there might be a reason that i am not aware of.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
matthiaseisner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

There are no issues. Pls also keep in mind to upgrade VMware tools to match host. Both can easily be done using the Update Manager which I would recommend.

Cheers,

Matthias

beckhamk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, we have already updated all vms to use the new vmware tools.

So if we upgrade the virtual hardware when windows is shutdown, will windows boot and reboot again even if we dont actually change and nics or settings inside the virtual hardware?

0 Kudos
bsti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually, you have to shut down the VM before you can upgrade the hardware. When it comes back up, it does so with the new virtual hardware.

I recently did this and encountered one snafu. Not a major issue, but an annoyance. I found that when I try and edit the TCP/IP properties for any of the NICs after the upgrade, I received an error stating that another NIC on the machine already had that IP Address. This was even though I didn't change the IP Address or any other properties.

What basically happened is in the Vhardware upgrade it put "new" NICs in the Virtual machine. The old ones are still there in Windows, but they are "ghosted". Since this "ghosted" nic had an IP Address bound to it, it would complain if you tried to assign that same IP to the new VNIC in your system.

To remove the annoyance, see the following:

1. Open a command prompt

2. Type: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

3. IMPORTANT: Type this in the same command prompt window: devmgmt.msc - This must be typed in the same cmd prompt window as the set command or you will not see the ghosted adapters

4. Select View -> Show Hidden Devices

5. Right-click any ghosted adapters named "VMWare..." and uninstall. Leave the RAS Adapter (it won't let you remove it anyway).

6. Reboot.

0 Kudos
s1xth
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I think someone posted a script a while back that will remove ghosted hardware, anyone have that link by any chance?

http://www.virtualizationimpact.com http://www.handsonvirtualization.com Twitter: @jfranconi
0 Kudos