VMware Cloud Community
McFarlandJohns1
Contributor
Contributor

upgrade to 7.0 fails with "WCP service installation failed"

I have an issue where my upgrade keeps failing. I found that I had legacy services using port 7444 so I fixed those, ran the upgrade again and I'm still getting the failure and I'm not sure why. vCenter works as 7.0 but some things are still wrong with it. Wondering if there is a way to fix the missing / wrong issues. 

Anybody else have this issue and know a fix for it? 

This is the full message: 

WCP service installation failed : Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/vmware-wcp/firstboot/wcp-firstboot.py", line 50, in proxy return func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/vmware-wcp/firstboot/wcp-firstboot.py", line 71, in configure wcpconfigure.configure_service() File "/usr/lib/vmware-wcp/py-modules/wcpconfigure.py", line 450, in configure_service create_storage_identity() File "/usr/lib/vmware-wcp/py-modules/wcpconfigure.py", line 446, in create_storage_identity SsoUser(_STORAGE_USER).create_storage_user_and_assign() File "/usr/lib/vmware-wcp/py-modules/wcpconfigure.py", line 332, in create_storage_user_and_assign self._create_storage_user() File "/usr/lib/vmware-wcp/py-modules/wcpconfigure.py", line 300, in _create_storage_user password = svcacctmgmt_client.create_svc_account(self._user_name) File "/usr/lib/vmware-wcp/py-modules/svcacctmgmt.py", line 90, in create_svc_account raise er File "/usr/lib/vmware-wcp/py-modules/svcacctmgmt.py", line 84, in create_svc_account svcacct_pwd_out = svcacct_client.create(create_spec) File "/usr/lib/vmware-wcp/py-modules/vapi-bindings/com/vmware/vcenter/svcaccountmgmt_client.py", line 368, in create 'create_spec': create_spec, File "/usr/lib/vmware-vapi/lib/python/vapi_runtime-2.100.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl/vmware/vapi/bindings/stub.py", line 345, in _invoke return self._api_interface.native_invoke(ctx, _method_name, kwargs) File "/usr/lib/vmware-vapi/lib/python/vapi_runtime-2.100.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl/vmware/vapi/bindings/stub.py", line 298, in native_invoke self._rest_converter_mode) com.vmware.vapi.std.errors_client.Error: {messages : [LocalizableMessage(id='com.vmware.vcenter.svcaccountmgmt.error', default_message='Exception found (Internal Server Error, VMware directory error[9127])', args=['Internal Server Error, VMware directory error[9127]'], params=None, localized=None)], data : None, error_type : None}

0 Kudos
5 Replies
clemclem34
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. If you have some clue

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

it's such a kind of first boot problem and can have many reasons for this, but I guess it's related to the VCSA's certificates (See this VMTN link before doing anything). While there is a little chance to fix the first boot problems, but I suggest to check more details of the following log file related to the WCP service via the VCSA shell:

/var/log/vmware/wcp/wcpsvc.log

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
UniKoeln
Contributor
Contributor

is there any Solution for this??? We have the same error. Opened a SR Ticket, but nobody could fix it till now.

0 Kudos
ChuckS42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just hitting this very thing ourselves. Still no solutions?

0 Kudos
LaneMatt
Contributor
Contributor

This seems to be the pertinent KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/82634?lang=en_US

The listed workaround didn't work for me.

It appeared to be related to my pnid being an IP instead of matching the hostname.

# /usr/lib/vmware-vmafd/bin/vmafd-cli get-pnid --server-name localhost

# hostname

Support said I could wait for engineering to fix the installer, or go through the process of changing the pnid.

0 Kudos