VMware Cloud Community
komanek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

upgrade from vCenter 5.0u1 + SRM 5.0.2 to vCenter 5.1b + SRM 5.1.0.1 really not possible ?

Hello,

I have vSphere Enterpsise Plus with vCenter 5.0u1 and SRM 5.0.2 on two sites (SRM for two protected volumes and two recovery volumes on NetApp filer at each site) and I guess its time to move to 5.1 branch. But in documentation to the SRM there is explicitly stated that upgrade SRM from 5.0.2 to 5.1 is not possible. Is it really true ? Does it mean I need

- to be stuck at 5.0 versions forever ?

- to uninstall SRM completely, delete its database, install 5.1.0.1 and create SRM 5.1 and configure it from scratch on each site ?

Or should I just wait for the next release of SRM 5.1 (5.1.0.2 ?) - if so, when it will be released ?

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kwerneburg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi David. 

SRM 5.0.2 was released after 5.1, so there was no code built into 5.1 that is aware of the upgrade path from 5.0.2. 

Good news is that there should be a new 5.1.1 release within the next 24 hours that will have that capability... so your upgrade path is now straight from 5.0.2 to 5.1.1.

You'll probably spend a lot more time on the vCenter upgrade with all the new bits there than with the SRM upgrade - it's pretty straightforward.

Hope this caught you in time before you rebuilt.

| @vmKen | VMware Technical Marketing |

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kwerneburg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi David. 

SRM 5.0.2 was released after 5.1, so there was no code built into 5.1 that is aware of the upgrade path from 5.0.2. 

Good news is that there should be a new 5.1.1 release within the next 24 hours that will have that capability... so your upgrade path is now straight from 5.0.2 to 5.1.1.

You'll probably spend a lot more time on the vCenter upgrade with all the new bits there than with the SRM upgrade - it's pretty straightforward.

Hope this caught you in time before you rebuilt.

| @vmKen | VMware Technical Marketing |
0 Kudos
komanek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi kwerneburg,

thanks for the great news. I am glad I can now plan my upgrade to the 5.1 branch.

With best regards,

David

0 Kudos