VMware Cloud Community
shahzad1982
Contributor
Contributor

upgrade from Vsphere Essentials 7 to vsphere standard 7.

hi Vmware Teams, i have question can i upgrade my existing license from Vsphere essentials 7 to vsphere standard 7. 

if yes then please let me know what will be the procedure. 

16 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @shahzad1982 ,

Please refer this article -> Upgrading a license edition 

0 Kudos
shahzad1982
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply trying to understand.   because now i have receive other error..

Licensing data is not available. Only clusters with enabled vSAN require licensing

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@shahzad1982 ,

Are you trying to assign license to a vSAN enabled cluster ? Please refer this article --> https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/60388 

0 Kudos
shahzad1982
Contributor
Contributor

i am totally confuse . recently i purchase Vsphere Essential plus 7. when i try to migrate it's not work and i try to perform other task it's say no vSAN license not include. 

i am using Vcenter appliance maybe that the issues?

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@shahzad1982 ,

If it's a new setup, vSAN should not be enabled by default. Please run through the KB provided earlier and see if it helps

0 Kudos
shahzad1982
Contributor
Contributor

thank you . i just noted that my host is essentail plus and my vcenter is essential only... 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> i just noted that my host is essentail plus and my vcenter is essential only...
That's correct. "vCenter Server for Essentials" is the same for an Essentials, and an Essentials Plus kit. It's only the host/CPU licenses which differ.

Regarding the upgrade to the Standard edition, can you confirm that you have a vCenter Server Standard (or Foundation) license as well as host/CPU licenses?

André

0 Kudos
shahzad1982
Contributor
Contributor

Licensed features

Unlimited virtual SMP
H.264 for Remote Console Connections
vCenter agent for VMware host
vSphere API-Content Library--Storage APIs-vSphere vMotion-X-Switch vMotion--vSphere HA vSphere Data Protection-vShield Endpoint
vSphere Replication
vShield Zones
0 Kudos
shahzad1982
Contributor
Contributor

LicenseLicense 2
ProductVMware vCenter Server 7 Essentials
Usage1 Instances
License expiration-Never
Licensed features-vSphere Storage Appliance
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry, but now I'm confused too.

In your initial post you asked "can i upgrade my existing license from Vsphere essentials 7 to vsphere standard 7.", but it seems that you are not actually willing to upgrade licenses, but want to solve an issue!?

So let's roll back, and start from scratch.

What exactly (some screenshots may help) is your issue?

André

0 Kudos
shahzad1982
Contributor
Contributor

Dear A_P, well as per my post i was wanted to know if i upgade from essential to standard how it will be...

and yes important for me to solve issues... 

what is my scenario. i have 3 Dell R740 and 1 Dell EMC 4024 storage.    i configure storage with host and it's seems fine. but when i add in Vcenter and configure cluster it's asking for vSAN license. what i want only when

1.incase any host down automatically start work from other  

2. incase i want to change datastore so i can perform this task. 

3. i notice FT also not enable with essential plus. 

please advise 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> ... but when i add in Vcenter and configure cluster it's asking for vSAN license.

If the message pops up when you try to add the host to vCenter, then some setting on the host itself may have been enabled (accidentally!?) which requires a vSAN license. e.g. vSAN traffic in a VMKernel port group.

André

0 Kudos
shahzad1982
Contributor
Contributor

i try to configure now VMKernal port,  it's also asking license for FT.  is there any way to purchase only FT license for Essential plus ... 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can basically purchase everything that VMware sells, but is this what you want, or do you want to get the environment working with the licenses that you already have?

I assume - as mentioned before - that some settings have been modified while running in evaluation mode, that now need to be removed to be compliant with Essentials Plus license.

André

0 Kudos
shahzad1982
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for your reply. let me check all setting once again and then will see... one question i have my current setup woth 5.5 with basic license without Vcenter how to move all VM from 5.5 to 7.0 licensed . 

any tips please

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Depending on your hardware (current, and new ESXi hosts), and the ESXi versions supported for it it could be an option to manage both servers by a common vCenter Server, which supports both ESXi versions, and use the migration feature.

Some other option are to backup/restore, or export/import the VMs.

André

0 Kudos