VMware Cloud Community
jacktotom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

upgrade esxi

I'm curious about a topic . I used Esxi 4 and then I upgraded Esxi 5 with esxi iso . now i want to install vcenter update manager then I want to do upgarde to esxi 6 with vcenter update manager . is it possible ?

I'm not sure but I read somewhere . It can not upgrade with a previously upgraded host Update Manager  .For example:  ESXi4 to ESXi5 to ESXi 6 . is it true ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

‌The upgrade path you have mentioned should be no problem. What version of 5 are your hosts running currently?

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Please follow the procedure

1 . Upgrade vCenter to 6 .0

2.  Update the Features as you required  (Auto Deploy , VUM etc )

3.  Use update manager and upgrade ESXi hosts .

* after upgrading the vCenter you can access VC and enable update manger plugin form any other new system and try that option .

If you are trying from system where already VUM plugin installed may shows some communication error .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos