VMware Cloud Community
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

upgrade appliance latest 6.5 to latest 6.7

I'm trying to perform this upgrade but for the fourth time it fails on the same error - Failed to configure License Service history Repository.

I've check firstbootstatus.json and it says failed the 10th strep which is license

"stepsCompletedList": "visl-support-firstboot,vmafd-firstboot,vmidentity-firstboot,pod_firstboot,soluser_firstboot,vmon-firstboot,rhttpproxy_firstboot,analytics_firstboot,cmfirstboot,license_firstboot",

"stepsStarted": 10,

"finalStatus": "failure",

"stepsCompleted": 10,

"totalSteps": 40,

"failedSteps": "license_firstboot",

DNS is working fine on the cluster,  the host I was deploying to actually did not have NTP setup, which I finally checked before my 4th effort, setup NTP, got date/time correct and still same failure.

license_firstboot.py_9510_stderr.log

has

Failed to execute license config cli: com.vmware.cis.license.embedded.server.common.repository.RepositoryException: Missing name property

So I was reading also that possibly the very latest 6.5 build couldn't update to 6.7 as the patches for 6.5 vs 6.7 would be back in time, but I checked dates and the very latest 6.5 patch date is the same date as the very lates 6.7 (sorry, I haven't got all the build numbers to hand)

also read

Upgrade from 6.5 patches post 6.5 U2, dated November 2018 or after, to 6.7 U1 are unsupported as it is considered back-in time"

I am trying to go from

vCenter Server 6.5 U2g  2019-05-14

to

vCenter Appliance 6.7 Update 2a  2019-05-14

is that allowed or am I flogging a dead horse?

(I wouldn't actually flog any horse, I like horses)

Thanks

Bill

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
2 Replies
zachschi
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get around this? I seem to be having the same issue, although I am using the VCSA release dated 2020-11-19 and the vCenter release dated 2020-09-28. 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

VMware provides a compatibility matrix for supported, and unsupported upgrades at https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/67077

André

0 Kudos