VMware Cloud Community
sorper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

updgrade ESX 3.5 to ESX 4.1

Hi

I know there are a various documents about upgrading from ESX 3.5 to 4,1 and i have read some of them, but I need some help from those who have

experience.
My current configuration
Hardware:
1 HP BladeSystem c3000 Enclosure
  • 5 ProLiant BL460c G1 blades

• 1 NetApp FAS2020 where all my VM:s reside (NSF)

• 1 NetApp FAS2020 where all my VM backups reside

Software:
  • ESX 3.5 update 5

• Vcenter 2.5 runs on a VM, windows 2003, 32.bits

• SQL2005 Express database runs on Vcenter

• NetApp Snapmanager

My New configuration:
Hardware:
  • 1 HP BladeSystem c3000 Enclosure

• 5 ProLiant BL460c G7

• We use the same storage systems as current ESX 3,5 use

Software:
  • ESX 4.1

• Vcenter 4.1 runs on a new BL460c G7, windows 2008 R2

• SQL2008 database runs on other server

• NetApp Snapmanager

Our plan:
  • no ESX 3.5 upgrades, but Install ESX 4,1 on the 5 new blades

• Move/migrate 30 VM:s from the ESX 3.5 hosts to the new ESX 4.1 hosts

• Keep the old ESX 3.5 hosts to run some VMs, but those ESX 3.5 will administer by the new Vcenter 4.1

My question:
  1. Must i keep the database i had on the old environment?

2. Must i updgrade the the database? if yes, why?

3. Can i just unregister an old host from vcenter 2.5 and register it with the new Vcenter and there migrate the VM:s from that host to anew 4.1 host and then upgrade the VM:s VMware tool and virtual hardware?

4. How about a vm that have snapshots??

Thanks for every advice
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

If you delete snapshots, actually it will not delete any files from your VM. It will merge the newly updated files with your base vmdk file. The only ting you will loose is you can't revert your VM to your restore point.

Please read this - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101518...

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Maximenu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hello sorper, I´ll answer on your post.

1. Must i keep the database i had on the old environment?
    Yes, the new VC will update your database. make a backup before upgrading
  2. Must i updgrade the the database? if yes, why?
    VC upgrade your database when your install it.
  3. Can i just unregister an old host from vcenter 2.5 and register it with the new Vcenter and there migrate the VM:s from that host to anew 4.1 host and then upgrade the VM:s VMware tool and virtual hardware?
    Yes, the new VC can manage a ESX 3.5
  4. How about a vm that have snapshots??
    My recommendation is that delete the snapshots.

Edit: The new VC need Windows 2008 64 bit
Javier Galvez

Customer Success Compute and Cloud

Joined the VMTN Community in Dic, 2004

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

Answers:

1. You can keep the database what you had on the old environment

2. No need to upgrade your database

3. You can just unregister an old host from vcenter 2.5 and register it with the  new Vcenter and there migrate the VM:s from that host to anew 4.1 host  and then upgrade the VM:s VMware tool and virtual hardware

4. If you have snapshots, there is no other way to go. You should delete them othersie it will not allow you to keep the ESX server to maintenance mode.

I would suggest to install your VC4.1 in 64-bit hardware and 64-bit OS as well. I hope you can't install VC4.1 on 32-bit OS. Just consider this point while you are getting into.

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
sorper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Maximeneu and GanesgNetworks for quick answers!

Yes i know, I will install the New Vcenter on a 64 bits hardware win 2008R2 (64)

but about to delete snabshots, we will loose alot if we delete them so i don't know how to do actually!

0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

If you delete snapshots, actually it will not delete any files from your VM. It will merge the newly updated files with your base vmdk file. The only ting you will loose is you can't revert your VM to your restore point.

Please read this - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101518...

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

upgrading vcenter does not affect the snapshot as it's tied to the configuration file of the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

He is not going to upgrade VC. All he has a plan to unregister VMs from old VC2.5 and register them in new VC 4.1

0 Kudos
sorper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will not to upgrade Vcenter, the 2.5 will be removed , i will install a 4.1 on a new hardware and 64 OS. But i want to unregister the hosts from the 2.5 oss and register them in the 4.1 vcenter

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Good idea build a new vCenter. For small enviroment you can rebuild your configuration (HA setting, resource poool, ...) in a few minutes.

It could be also an easy way to flush the old DB data.

PS: when you add a host to a new vCenter it will be automatically removed from the previous one. I only suggest to disable HA in the old cluster during this migration.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
sorper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did so and the hole operation was very easy and successfull:

Installed a ne Vcenter on a windows 2008R2

maked 2 new databases (one for VC and one for updatemanager) on a one of our SQL server 2008

Maked a connection from the new Vcenter to our 3.5 licens server

Commited all snapshots on one hosts VMs

Disabled HA in the old cluster during this migration

detached the host from old Vcenter

Registered the host on the new Vcenter

updateed VMtools and shuted down the VM

upgraded V. hardware to VM 7 and started the VM

Reconfigured HA and DRS

And wvwery things are just perfect

Soran

0 Kudos