VMware Cloud Community
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

unable to build ESX 3.5 using ks.cfg - getting "sda doesn't exist"

Hello gurus - I am stuck on this error - I am trying to build ESX 3.5 using an iso I built with my ks.cfg file burnt into it - the ESX installer is reading the ks.cfg file during installation but is crapping out when it goes to create the partitions with "SDA doesn't exist"... can anyone tell me what this is about? I can install ESX manually on this server fine and i have not modified the ks.cfg file at all. during boot when the prompt comes up - I am using the following command: esx ks=cdrom:/KS.cfg ksdevice=cdrom.

gman

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

SDA refers to LUN for the installation - Try doing a manual install an I think you will find there are issues with LUNs being presented to the ESx server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Weinstein - thanks for your reply - just double checked and the server is not SAN attached. Just tried the install on a new server - making sure it was disconnected from SAN - no go, same error. any other thoughts?

I resolved this - server is HP and for some reason it doesn't like SDA - it likes cciss/c0d0 for scripting the creation of the partitions... I can't believe nobody in this forum could answer this?? Ok then.... I won't give up on you all just yet, still have some more questions that need answering..

gman

0 Kudos