VMware Cloud Community
mtsmbr
Contributor
Contributor

scripted install , please help!

Hi my friends , i need some help with scripted install , in my environment i cant boot with pxe and i dont have access to the physical machine (so cant use usb stick) all that i have is the IBM RSA with iso file virtual attach , so i gotta install 20 machines with esx 4 ., then created a ks.cfg inside isolinux directory and rebuilt the iso , everything went ok then i found out that it could not find the ks file inside the cd...seems the cd is mounted in mount point i dont know...i tought it was /mnt/media but nothing , so i opened the initrd image and put my ks.cfg file there...then rebuilt the initrd.img , nice now it finds the ks.cfg , now the problems :

it seems that when you try to use a scripted install the cd it simply doesnt mount the install cd , so i have a message that it didnt find the install cd , i tought it would be a problem with my packing , but i tested the original dvd with the KS example inside it...and have the same error , cant find the install cd.

does anyone have ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mtsmbr
Contributor
Contributor

i am attaching the shots of the errors...

the weird thing is : when i try to make a normal install (non scripted) it mounts the install cd , when i try scripted (even with original ones with the example) the cdrom is not mounted..

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I hope the scripted install procedure mentioned in the Installation guide will help you. Please follow the steps mentioned in the chapter Installing VMware ESX -> Installing ESX using scripted mode.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_esx_vc_installation_guide.pdf

0 Kudos